Forums Latest Members

Should I be worry if my Speedmaster reduce don't have serial number on back?

1. Seaman May 8, 2018

Hi

I recently purchase a Speedmaster Reduced which don't have the serial number on the back. I didn't open it yet because for my eyes seems legit but please let me know if I should open it. I didn't do it yet because I opened my other one and had to go to the watchmaker to close the case..:)

Pictures:
    pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic6.jpg pic7.jpg pic8.jpg pic9.jpg pic10.jpg pic11.jpg

Thank you.

2. gdupree May 8, 2018

It's most likely that the engraved serial number was polished off of the case back at some point. This is something I've commonly heard of for this model. Nothing about it looks ingenuine.

Seaman likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2018

The watch looks okay - if you open the case the compression style hard gasket that holds it in place should be replaced, as they are one time use only gaskets. They will never grip as tightly once opened as they did originally.

Not ideal to have a missing serial number. There is no serial number on the movement, so this can cause problems with service at Omega. They would have to determine that the watch is all genuine before they will service it, and they won't put any serial number on the case like they would if the movement had a serial number.

Cheers, Al

Seaman likes this.
  4. gdupree May 8, 2018

I've never understood why they would only serialize the most easily removable and replaceable piece of the watch. And to add to it, they often etch the number which can be easily polished off. Seems like a headache for Omega and those who work on these watches.

Seaman likes this.
  5. Seaman May 9, 2018

Thank you for all the replies..
    That is the reason I didn't want to open it..but from this pictures it's possible to know what is the caliber of the watch?? The other Reduced which I have it's 3220 but it's not the same. My unexperimented eye spot near Omega logo two dots which this one doesn't have..:)

Some pictures with the one I allready opened

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic6.jpg pic7.jpg pic8.jpg pic9.jpg pic10.jpg pic11.jpg

6. gdupree May 10, 2018

I don't much about the Speedmaster Reduced, but I am pretty good at typing what I want to know into google. There I read that Omega changed the Reduced caliber from 1140 to 3220. However I believe this was a pretty minor change beyond the name, so my impression is that the calibers would visually be the same, except for the name.

Here's the article from @Robert-Jan.
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-the-rise-of-the-speedmaster-reduced/

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 10, 2018

Serial number: 90303088
    Article ref: 35395000

Looks fine.

8. padders Oooo subtitles! May 10, 2018

Its weird that Omega was issuing serials in the 90m range when this was made, presumably before 2012 or so when the Reduced was phased out but other current models are being sold with serials in the 89m range. That said Speedmasters are still on 78.78m or so which I guess is weirder still.

silverbitz likes this.
  9. ulackfocus May 10, 2018

Regardless of what Omega calls it, that's an ETA 2892 based caliber with a DD chronograph module riveted on top. That's why the crown (attached to the 2892) is on a different level than the pushers (attached to the module). They're a pain in the ass to service from what I've been told, and many Omega centers replace the entire movement instead of pulling it apart.

Seaman and wsfarrell like this.