Forums Latest Members
  1. vbrad26 Apr 1, 2019

I've been a Speedy fan for a long time. Finally bought a brand new modern one a little over a year ago.
    Prior to ownership, and still to this day, I am learning as much as I can about them (primarily thanks to OF!)
    I of course see mine every day, and even glances of some out in the wild, but never get a good look, and from the quick glance, they all look to be modern too.
    But I have never had the chance to see some the older ones in person. Only in pictures. I understood the appeal of vintage, but never had the opportunity to experience if myself.

This weekend, I went in to my local jewelry store (who also happens to be an Omega AD) to pick up a ring that they were working on for my wife.
    The gentleman who greeted me had in his hand, a Speedy.
    Right away I saw nicely "tanned" lume and straight lugs, and I probably got more excited than I should have.
    Luckily, being in the presence of another enthusiast, he was more than happy to let me check it out.
    And whoa. I still don't know what it was but it gave me goosebumps. It was perfect. In amazing condition.
    Unpolished, sharp case, spotless DON beautiful dial and perfectly aged lume. But it was just on a black leather strap.
    I get it now. While I wear a Speedy almost every day, there was just something so special about a classic like that.
    I couldn't wait to get home and tell my wife who literally could not care less!
    I wish I had pictures to share, but I was still a little too embarrassed to whip out my phone.
    (The watch was there for appraisal, so I didn't want to mistreat someone else's property.)

Side note:
    I also found out that said AD is actually loosing their Omega AD status.
    Which is crazy to me because they recently added onto the store and put in a whole branded Omega section.
    What would cause Omega to decide to revoke their AD status?

kov, queriver, 77deluxe and 5 others like this.
  2. bgrisso Apr 1, 2019

Good instincts not to try and photograph someone else's watch that is in for appraisal, although not because you were embarrassed, but because I don't think it would be ethical for the store. However nothing prohibits you from leaving you contact info in case the owner wants to sell, never hurts to keep your eye out for opportunities...

KingCrouchy, vbrad26 and Omegafanman like this.
  3. vbrad26 Apr 1, 2019

Oh it would have been WAY out of my price range hah.
    Pretty sure it was a 105.003, but again, I'm no expert.

4. MCC Apr 1, 2019

I would have left my name, "just in case", then spent my time justifying why I needed to buy it!!

5. vbrad26 Apr 1, 2019

To be honest I did think about leaving one of my business cards.
    But again, definitely not in the budget.
    Even if I could convince my wife it was an "investment", I like to wear my watches, not keep them in a safe.
    This one looked like it had been in a safe. It was definitely investment grade.

6. alam Apr 1, 2019

Signs, Symptoms and Observations:

Diagnosis: Speedmaster Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (SOCD)

Risk Factors: Access to Omega Forums, OBs, Speedmaster101, MWO

Treatments and Therapies: None known.

:)

Dr No, MCC, kov and 7 others like this.
  7. vbrad26 Apr 1, 2019

Haha I think the only known remedy is acquiring more Speedies.
    But where does it end?!
    No known cure...
    And OF is like a crack house to a crackhead!

alam and 77deluxe like this.
  8. 77deluxe Apr 1, 2019

Maybe just buying it would help remedy your speedy-OCD. Worth a shot.

9. kkt Apr 1, 2019

Like the first heroin high, that always works too.

10. alam Apr 2, 2019

vbrad26 and kov like this.
  11. jimmyd13 Apr 2, 2019

A few months ago another collector asked me for an opinion on a 5513 mf. I brought mine; we compared; measured; checked serial numbers and everything else you would consider for due diligence. The watch was not as correct as it should have been, and particularly not at the asking price. Anyway, he then handed me a Rolex Prince in striped gold .... damn. It just took my breath away. Original right down to the strap, buckle and box ... though the dial had been very (very, very) well redone at some point in its life.

vbrad26 likes this.
  12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 2, 2019

[​IMG]

Dr No, kkt, vbrad26 and 2 others like this.
  13. jimmyd13 Apr 2, 2019

That's what happens when you buy expensive belts. A few pieces of nylon rope soon add up to another watch.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  14. MCC Apr 2, 2019

We all know that buying watches is a slippery slope, then again it is a lot of fun too.

I am not in favour of treating this condition.

15. gostang9 Apr 2, 2019

I was sure coming to this thread would provide an explanation on your avator... that was the "short story" I expected... ::confused2::
    This was the first time I saw someone wearing an old Speedy in the wild and I thought it was pretty cool! His was very worn and not in the best shape, but he'd used it as a true daily wearer and also as the 'tool watch' it was intended to be. :thumbsup:

Now that is an experience I am all too familiar with! Happens to me with both my wife and 14 year old daughter. My wife just sighs, and my daughter does the dramatic eye-roll done best by a teenage daughter... :rolleyes:

vbrad26 likes this.
  16. vbrad26 Apr 2, 2019

So the short story behind the avatar is Ulackfocus.
    I don't remember the details but he was going on a rant about NASA fanboys wearing NASA branded underwear and while doing so, he posted the pic that is my avatar.
    I, at the time, had a classic NASA text avatar so in an effort to poke fun at myself (for being a NASA fanboy), I changed my avatar to the current one you see here.

Found it...here is how it went down:

alam, gostang9 and jimmyd13 like this.
  17. gostang9 Apr 2, 2019

Oh yes, that was one for the history books. :thumbsup:

vbrad26 likes this.
  18. Dr No Apr 2, 2019

Reminds me of the day last year when I walked into my favorite watering hole and saw Steve with a '67 on his wrist. He normally wears a vintage Sub, so I was surprised.

"Hey, Steve - didn't know you were an Omega guy, too. When did you get that Speedy?"

"At a charity auction a few years ago. $200."

::facepalm2::

vbrad26 likes this.