Forums Latest Members
  1. kamote_1 Nov 16, 2014

Hi guys!
    First time to post here..

Need a bit of help..
    First off, i dont know how some guys view Franken or watchco NOS watches, bad or good in some poeple's point of view i hope someone here can help me.

Ok, so i have the complete case sorted, as well as the ploprof hands. I got some 1010 and 1012 movements in my parts stash too. So that leaves me with the dial..

My question..
    Is there any omega or other brand dial that might fit? I cant seem to find any dials online and watchco wont sell dials individually..
    Doesnt matter what logo or design is on the dial coz its easy to redial, just want a "proper" fit including the date window..

Or maybe someone with a dial on hand can give me some dimensions?

If anyone has good leads on a SHOM dial in any condition that would be better..

CHEERS EVERYONE!

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 17, 2014

Case number will determine whether other dials are big enough. Is the case a 166.0177?

Do us all a favour if you succeed in assembling this interesting confection, please engrave the caseback with something like "created by Kamote_1" so some poor bugger in the future won't think he's stumbled upon a prototype Shomega. :)

Cheers

Desmond

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2014

Ofrie lists the shom dial as discontinued.
    However they list the Omega blue dial for caliber 1012, case number 166.0093 which might fit it.?

[​IMG]

This would at least get your project off the ground. :)

4. kamote_1 Nov 17, 2014

@mondodec.. Yeah.. I have no plans of selling it.. Might as well engrave my name on the back..

@cicindela, the shom 166.0177 dial i believe is 27.5mm.. I was thinking of this..
    [​IMG]
    Which is around 27.3mm and was made for a 1010 or 1012 movement..
    Will try to do some research on the dial you posted..

5. kamote_1 Nov 17, 2014

The things we find online..
    So after a few clicks..
    The 166.0093 used a cal 1002 movement, diameter of dial is the same but im not sure if the posts will line up..

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2014

They have to line up, it's the same basic movement. Besides Ofrie says it does. Have you looked at there page?
    http://www.ofrei.com/page1148.html

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 17, 2014

Otto Frei is incorrect - it's still available. The dial for case ref. 1660177 (1012 movement) is still available from Omega. Part number is 064PP1770001.

Cheers, Al

8. kamote_1 Nov 17, 2014

Hi Al, any idea how much it will cost? And how does one order from omega?

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2014

You don't . Someone like Al can or Ofrie and you order from them.

10. kamote_1 Nov 17, 2014

Ahh. I see.. Is this 100% sure? That the part is still available?

11. kamote_1 Feb 17, 2015

So.. After some months of searching, waiting trial and error I am finally giving closure to my quest.
    Finding a proper dial was such a pain in the ass (on the wallet too) so I chose this dial instead.
    I hated the shark mesh bracelet at first sight so I sold it! Silicon is more comfortable..
    Not what I had initially planned but still turned out nicely.. And a lot cheaper too!

To the purists out there, this is a one off custom that i will not be selling ever and it has my initials engraved inside the cover.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

pascs and ketiljo like this.
  12. ketiljo Feb 17, 2015

Nice. If I didn't know better, I'd take this one. I'm a sucker for applied markers. A good substitute. Good that you went for the "baby ploprof" hands as I don't think the black sword hands would have worked well here. Maybe chrome sword hands like the SM300.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 17, 2015

Great project, and always nice to see an OP come back with a good result!

14. kamote_1 Feb 17, 2015

Thanks guys!
    Wife has it in her clutches now.. Might not be able to wear it for a few weeks.. [emoji38]
    Hope she wont murder it. The finish looks easy to scratch. [emoji27]