Forums Latest Members

Shipping Watch into USA for repair

1. isaac.owen.nz Feb 28, 2017

Have just visited the local FedEx office here in St Maarten and been advised that regardless if I'm sending the watch for repair or otherwise, even if it's leaving the USA again, the recipient will be required to pay taxes to receive the package.

That's a burden I'd rather not put on a watchmaker I've never dealt with before.

Any advice on watch repairs from far off places or someone whose shipped into the USA for a repair before?
    Could also consider shipping to Europe/UK if can avoid this hassle there.
    Currently in St Maarten, will be in Caribbean for another month or so then Bermuda if it helps.

Thanks all

Rodmar likes this.
  2. SeanO Feb 28, 2017

I shipped to a manufacturer service centre in Georgia from Oz.

Tax was paid on the cost of the service as this was something that could conceivably have been done by someone in Australia.

I needed to provide evidence of the cost of the service to customs to ensure that It wasn't levied on the value of the watches.

isaac.owen.nz likes this.
  3. Braindrain Mar 2, 2017

I've shipped watches into the US for repairs before, clearly stating "for repair" and there were no duties charged. I was talking to watchmaker in the UK and it seems he gets charged regularly for watches sent to him for repair. I have personally had that happen with a watch I sent to Belgium for repair.

Coming back into Canada, my watches clearly stated "service/repair" and I wasn't charged duties.