Forums Latest Members
  1. artek Nov 14, 2019

Has anyone here any experience having a brand new Omega (seamaster) shipped to Canada?

I wonder what I should expect in terms of duties and taxes. Any options to minimize the dmage?

Thank you.

Edited May 31, 2020
  2. BDHD Nov 14, 2019

Is it being shipped by a dealer, private seller, authorized dealer?

3. nutwaffle Nov 14, 2019

I shipped a FOIS to Canada once. The buyer got hit hard with customs around 20% (I think) of the value. I shipped via FedEx standard and they required two copies of a bill of sale.

4. nutwaffle Nov 14, 2019

And to minimize damage, simply bubble wrap the watch, ensure nothing moves around within the package, and double-box if you can. However, customs may open the package.

5. artek Nov 14, 2019

Ok thanks.

6. Faz Nov 14, 2019

Customs fees and taxes are the norm when importing into Canada. Unfortunately a fact of life. FedEx acts as a customs brokers and usually collects customs fees and directly pass along the bill the the importer.

7. scapa Nov 14, 2019

Expect to pay between 19% and 22% extra in duties, taxes and extortionate brokerage fees. I've done it once, and would not do it again, despite the reasonable asking price and great care taken by the seller in my case. The courier opened the package and "security-sealed" it with the watch out of its coffin and lying loose in the box. Insurance was capped at 1000.00 despite my paying for substantial extra coverage (nowadays I purchase third-party coverage). Etc., etc.

Note: I've bought and sold many other items, including lower-priced watches, from and to the US. But wouldn't do so again for a watch I could have bought from an AD for slightly more. YMMV.

mydeafcat likes this.
  8. mydeafcat Nov 14, 2019

You can also self-clear, which is cheaper since you won't pay a brokerage fee; FedEx (or other couriers) won't usually tell you about this option. Once you get notice the watch arrives, get all the details together, including Fed Ex Documentation, and go to your nearest CBSA office. Mine was a vintage piece so no duties owed, only 12% tax (GST/PST).

A new watch, however, like anything else is going to cost you both requisite taxes and import duty. Don't bullshit the CBSA officer at the booth. Tell them the truth. When I bought my first Speedy (returned it due to damage), the border agent was an Ultraman owner. He was super cool, appreciated my honesty and once inside I got a preferable rate of US/CDN exchange. Sure beats being red-flagged. That never goes away. And when it came time to apply for a refund to the paid duties and taxes (defective watches happen sometimes) I got every penny, and no hassle at all.

mikekchc likes this.
  9. artek Nov 14, 2019

Very interesting. I had no idea there was this option. So you’re saying as soon as the watch ships and I have the fedex tracking number I should go to the CBSA office? Before the watch actually arrives in Canada? Thank you.

10. scapa Nov 14, 2019

With UPS at least you can contact them to inform them that you'll be clearing the package yourself. Then when it arrives at their depot they will call you, then you go to UPS to fill out some paperwork, then take that paperwork to CBSA. They will examine it and charge you the requisite fees.

11. mydeafcat Nov 14, 2019

That's a good question as I didn't do it this way but I see no reason why it wouldn't. You know what you paid, you'll have the receipt and tracking info etc. A quick call to CBSA will clear up any questions and required steps. In my case, FedEx called me to let me know a package was on route and I owed $XX. I didn't even need to go to FedEx's local depot.

If you have the tracking number, call FedEx and tell them you wish to self-clear. Once the package arrives in Canada, they will let you know in either case since duties etc are required. When you have visited CBSA and have your receipt, call FedEx, let them know it's been looked after (they'll need proof, of course) and then you'll have the package delivered or you can pick it up from the local depot.

artek likes this.
  12. artek Nov 14, 2019

Yes. Once I have the tracking number I’ll call fedex.

mydeafcat likes this.
  13. mydeafcat Nov 14, 2019

Next step....Once this is all looked after, go to a CBSA office with your watch and paperwork, or when traveling, pop into the office at the border. Register the watch. It's free (it's literally a green card for your watch!). That way, since you're now on their radar as a watch guy (it's true - every border interaction is collected and reviewed when you travel), you can provide documentation.

scapa and artek like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 14, 2019

FedEx brokerage fees are usually quite reasonable in my experience. UPS on the other hand I avoid at all costs due to their insane fees for clearing shipments.

You are fortunate that you have had CBSA agents that were helpful. I recall bringing a piece of equipment across the border from the US (pressure testing equipment for watches that I'd bought new, and picked up at a watchmaker's convention) and I self-cleared it at the border. When I asked them to assist me in determining the right harmonized code, they basically pointed me to a computer screen and said "look up the codes yourself" and were no help at all. Then they made me wait for close to 30 minutes to let me pay, while they stood there and talked to each other about mundane things like what they were going to do on the weekend. They made no attempt to hide the fact that they were just trying to piss me off. I sat there with a trucker who was bringing a load across the border, and he said the best is to just sit and wait, because if you look like you are in a hurry they will make you wait even longer. I had already driven from Rhode Island to the border, and had a few hours left to go, so I wasn't in the mood to be jerked around by arsehole agents. BTW my nephew is a CBSA agent...

Honza and mydeafcat like this.
  15. Toishome Nov 14, 2019

Out of Curiousity what new watch you buying that you cant find here already? By here I mean Canada.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 14, 2019

He should give his Uncle the secret "CBSA family" code.

Nudge Nudge. ;);)

mydeafcat likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 14, 2019

Not bloody likely...we aren't exactly best buds to put it mildly...

mydeafcat likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 14, 2019

That explains it then, he's flagged you to all of his cronies :D.

gemini4 and mydeafcat like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 14, 2019

This happened before the falling out...but it wouldn't surprise me if he has tried. Fortunately I know have the ability to clear customs in the USD or Canada very easily...NEXUS program and it's great.

mydeafcat likes this.
  20. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 14, 2019

I continue to be amazed at how rough Canadian customs is compared with their neighbor to the south.