Forums Latest Members

Shipping from the US to the UK/Canada

1. cvalue13 Jan 23, 2014

Any advice on shipping from the US to the UK/Canada?

Some of you may have seen that I'm selling a number of watches, and several of them have been to the U.K./Canada. I've gotten most of them out, or am getting close, but I am shocked at how impossibly difficult it seems.

Is there an easier way??!!

Cordially,
    Coleson

2. ulackfocus Jan 23, 2014

I've always sent them through the USPS. It might take a while when you factor in the Canadian postal system, but they get there. Fill out the form correctly, maybe putting "old watch for parts" or something similar in the description.

The UK is a different story. I like Global Express services - the USPS takes it in, and FedEx handles it afterwards. Usually between $50 - $70 if I remember correctly. A few of our members agreed this was the best way to ship there.

cvalue13 and pitpro like this.
  3. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 23, 2014

Great info Dennis

cvalue13 likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jan 23, 2014

Well, you should actually thank Warren / Spikispikester, Alex / Dablitzer, and one or two other members (Alpha? X350 XJR?) who all conferred with me about it. I'm just relaying the message.

cvalue13 likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 23, 2014

I think you mean factoring in the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency - customs). The delays related to a parcel arriving from the US or anywhere else in the world have nothing to do with Canada Post (the Canadian postal system), but everything to do with the CBSA.

I can send a package across the country easily and quickly with Canada Post - they are quite good at what they do.

Oh and I receive hundreds of packages a year through the postal system, and there are really not any serious delays that I have experienced.

Cheers, Al

cvalue13 likes this.
  6. cvalue13 Jan 23, 2014

So, no insurance usually?

7. ulackfocus Jan 23, 2014

I don't think you can get insurance through the USPS when it goes abroad. Other shipping services will offer it, but the cost is astronomical.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 23, 2014

Need to be careful with that. Some of the private carriers say that insure packages for an additional cost, but then when you look at the fine print, they exclude jewelry (which includes watches) over a nominal amount, so this insurance is pretty much useless. From FedEx website:

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/terms/express-ground/index.html

USPS Express Mail/EMS is probably the quickest way to ship overseas, but you really can't adequately insure using this service either. Registered Mail might be the safest, since it has to accounted for by signature at every step. However, it can take forever to arrive, particularly to another country where it has to clear customs on top of all the extra security.

You pays your money and takes your chances...
    gatorcpa

jim13x likes this.
  9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 24, 2014

If you are shipping though from a smaller post office, they hate the global express packages - they usually don't have the forms and they take forever processing it muttering under their breath constantly how regular Express Mail is "better and cheaper."

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 1, 2014

I've had a lot of trouble shipping to Canada... Shipping watches uninsured is nearly inevitable.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 1, 2014

There must some kind of a postal "war" going on between the USA and Canada. I can get stuff from mainland China and Eastern Europe quicker and easier than I can from major North American cities like Montreal and Toronto.

Not exactly sure why.
    gatorcpa

12. CdnWatchDoc Feb 1, 2014

Can you be more specific? I have bought plenty of watches from the UK and the US, and both get here quite easily. Regular Royal Mail takes a bit of time (2-3 weeks), and so far, no problems. I do have issues with paying duties and taxes on watches from the US, but that is due to the wacky Canadian tax system, and the fact that our political leaders haven't respected the NAFTA...but I digress. If you can give details, we may be able to help out.

13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 1, 2014

Well - when I say problems, I only mean that I am unable to officially ship a watch to Canada if it's worth more than $5. I have to label my packages "old watch"

The post office staff are also troublesome, as they over-complicate international shipping procedures and are unfamiliar with the rules. They have a name for me now. When I walk into the post office, they call me "Big Money".

14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 2, 2014

Has anyone used eBAY international shipping? As much as I dislike eBAY, this option might make sense. For many of the items sold on eBAY you can ship to a central location in the USA and they will then take care of international delivery. The good thing is the seller is covered as long as the item arrives at the US based facility. There have been a number of instances where I thought completing a deal through eBAY might be the way to go. You can keep the fees low by posting a BIN for part of the value and the rest payable through other methods? What do you think?