Forums Latest Members

Shipping and customs issues

1. calalum Jul 28, 2015

All-I am buying a vintage watch (non-Rolex) from a seller in Italy. I am in the United States. A few months ago, I bought a similar watch from a seller in France. In that case, the seller shipped the watch, insured at full value (which was disclosed on the package), and when it arrived in the US the shipper contacted me and required that I complete a customs declaration form, which essentially asked for the value of the watch components (case, dial, movement, strap), which was quite a bit less than the value of the watch as a whole. The purchase price was also disclosed. There were no customs issues or duty levied. Now, my seller in Italy says that his shipper requires that he complete the US customs form, that he include an invoice with the sale price, and that the amounts on the customs form match the invoice. We are not trying to be inaccurate or sneaky in any way, but I am concerned that I will have a very different result with US customs this time. Any thoughts or suggestions as to how best to approach the situation? Thanks in advance.

2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 28, 2015

I would suggest using Parcel Pro. They handle all this for you, but you will pay customs duties on the declared/insured value. Its generally billed later. Parcel Pro is absolutely the best and easiest method for insured shipping.

FYI- Fedex and UPS insurance will not cover a watch + its very expensive compared to Parcel Pro

3. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 28, 2015

I know you said this isn't a Rolex, but FYI- the Rolex import ban is no longer enforced on imports into the US

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 28, 2015

Look up and provide the correct Harmonized Code, then break down the values into case, movement and strap. Customs has no right to charge you on the full value of the watch, so you can include that without fear.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 28, 2015

FYI, just went through this. they have a generic breakdown of parts:

50% movement
    30% strap/bracelet
    20% case

that's all they need apparently. I just got off the phone with FexEx about 30 minutes ago for the very same reason. We'll see if there are any import taxes to pay too.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2015

Actually they don't handle all this for you - usually the shipper fills out the paperwork required listing the value breakdown of the various parts of the watch. I do this many times per week shipping back to the US and I am very familiar with the process through ParcelPro and FedEx as I have done it at least a thousand times.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2015

I'm curious why you would say they have no right to charge based on the full value of the watch? Can you explain this please?

Cheers, Al

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 28, 2015

Correct, you have to fill out the form on the Parcel Pro site...but my rep at Parcel Pro has always assisted me with any issues.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2015

Of course it's in their interest to have the watch moving and not sitting around.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

Do you have something official on that?

I've not seen anything new since the 2003 Customs newsletter saying that any Rolex watches sent by post are treated as contraband and returned to sender.

Here's a 2009 customs ruling that says that grey market Rolex watches (any watch new or used, not imported by Rolex USA is considered "grey") are still prohibited.

http://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=h071620&ac=pr

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

11. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 28, 2015

went into effect a few months ago...there is a large thread on the topic

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

Please post a reference to a thread, or a weblink. Better yet, start a new thread on the subject. I can't find anything about this change in policy here using a quick search.

This would be very important information to pass along.

Thanks,
    gatorcpa

Jzan26 likes this.
  13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 28, 2015

I can't find the thread, it must have been in the Rolex Forum. But look at the old Crown & Caliber article, its updated:

However, it appears that these restrictions have been lifted as of early April. After speaking with two different U.S. Customs officials, we have received confirmation that Rolex watches, both new and pre-owned, can now be shipped into the United States and the company no longer possesses “Gray Market Patent Protections.” The lift of these Rolex importation restrictions can also be confirmed on the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol website. Notice that the page says “NO” to “Gray Market Importations Restricted.” While the officials offered no details and did not elaborate on the matter, it is clear that the restrictions are no longer in place, which means that Rolex watches can now be imported into the United States. We will continue to update this post as more information is presented to us.

— End Update —

[The below information was accurate prior to the lift of these importation restrictions. This article was updated May 21, 2015.]

- See more at: https://www.crownandcaliber.com/wat...-into-the-united-states/#sthash.xVQuJ9Bf.dpuf

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 28, 2015

Because, at least to my understanding, Customs is required to value used watches on the basis of the breakdown of the individual parts.

Now, if you are arguing that absent such a breakdown, they are legally allowed to calculate on the basis of the full, declared value of the watch, that may be true, though I expect that even a belated presentation of a breakdown would force a recalculation.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

Whenever I receive a vintage watch from outside the US via FedEx, I fill out a FedEx watch worksheet with the cost breakdown and fax this to FedEx who will then bill me in a weeks or so. The total value of the parts must add up to the declared value of the watch - when there is a discrepancy I get a call from FedEx pointing this out but this almost never happens as I make it a point that the values are the same.

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 28, 2015

Yes, it must add up to the declared value, but the duties are lower when the breakdown is supplied.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2015

This assumes the watch would be cleared by customs without the breakdown, and that is not my experience. Without that breakdown I have never had a watch clear customs via FedEx - they always require it.

BTW I'm not arguing anything, just asking questions, as again what you are saying is quite different than my experience, but I am not on the receiving end with shipments to the US...

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

No official announcement from Customs or Dept. of Homeland Security? Particularly when the head attorney "asked not to be named in this article"? More questions than answers there.

Al - have your heard anything from your Canadian counterparts on the mailing of repaired Rolex watches back to the USA?

Not saying that it isn't true, but the whole thing seems very strange in the hush-hush way it's being handled.
    gatorcpa

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2015

I have only seen the same article quoted as "proof" in different places on various watch forums. My personal policies with regards to shipping Rolex watches into the US have not changed as I take that article with a large grain of salt for the same reasons you do...more questions than answers...

Ideally something from RUSA would put this to bed, because this is something they are (or were, as the case may be) asking to be enforced. US Customs isn't doing this just for their own amusement...this is RUSA enforcing their trademark rights. Knowing what I know about Rolex, I'm skeptical that they would give up anything that might give them less control over the US market.

Cheers, Al

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

I just did a search on VRF and there was a post there where someone was told by an auction house that they can now mail Rolex watches from the auction site (not disclosed) to the USA. So I think there is something going on..

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1431182600

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Rolex to say anything on this subject.
    gatorcpa