Forums Latest Members

Shinola Moon Bean Chrono LE

1. kilofinal Nov 4, 2018

I thought this looked interesting. Shinola is launching a limited edition to honor Alan Bean -

upload_2018-11-4_20-52-25.png

Limited Edition of 500 Pieces

Shinola introduces the seventh installment in the Great American Series - a collection of limited edition watches that honor those who helped shape American culture and made a lasting mark on American history. This November, they are honoring the late Alan Bean with the Moon Bean timepiece.

Moon Bean is inspired by Alan Bean, the Lunar Module Pilot of Apollo 12 and the fourth person to step foot on the moon. After retiring from NASA, Alan devoted his time to painting lunar landscapes influenced by his adventures in space. This installment of the Great American Series honors Alan's life and work by showcasing both his story and artistic talent.
    "We are proud to present Moon Bean," said Tom Kartsotis, founder of Shinola. "Al's journey influenced many of the ideas and much of the spirit that was at the base of the creation of Shinola."

The Moon Bean comes as a gift set, complete with a copy of Painting Apollo: First Artist on Another World, the hardcover book of Al's artwork, and a black G10 nylon strap. The purchase of the Moon Bean Limited Edition Watch grants access to The Foundry: a private collectors' club established exclusively for owners of limited-edition Shinola products.

MSRP is $1,500.

Skrv and JPE.88305 like this.
  2. JPE.88305 Nov 4, 2018

$1500 is a lot for a quartz watch, LE or not.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. river rat Nov 4, 2018

Dam I paid 1400 for a 1972 Omega Speedy about 6 years ago 1500 for a quartz nuts and still can't get use to that name I think of some thing else every time.

blufinz52, JPE.88305 and BenBagbag like this.
  4. TLIGuy Nov 4, 2018

Interesting but I'm going to stick with the original.

Apollo 12 Bean.JPG

Foo2rama and kilofinal like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 4, 2018

1500 and for a little more that double that you can have a truely, beautifully done high accuracy quartz from Seiko. I have some respect for Shinola for what they are doing in Detroit. Not this.

Foo2rama, mydeafcat and M'Bob like this.
  6. MrJKLFoams Nov 5, 2018

I just watch archieluxury about this watch company.

7. gdupree Nov 5, 2018

Very nice gesture of them. I don't like the watch, but have tremendous respect for Al. Widely known as the most approachable astronaut, it would have been nice for the watch to resemble his approachability with it's price. I don't care much for Shinola, but I have known a handful of watch enthusiasts who began their watch-collecting journey with them. Perhaps someone can find a love for space and art with this watch. No doubt that's what Mr. Bean would want.

Larry S likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 5, 2018

Archie is a blowhard.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 17, 2018

I have one, beautiful watch even though it is quartz. On the metal it does have a lot of great detail and the production stems from Tom Kartsotis personal relationship with Al.Personally if they had made it mechanical they would have something special there.

It is hard to "like" it if one sees it as a "moon watch" or a professional watch. it is neither. The 1/10 Chrono is effective, the bezel is a waste as it is neither a moving bezel that canoe used as GMT, not a Tach. But it does look great on the wrist and I like having it quartz or no quartz.

I actually have several Shinola watches, probably around 10 of them between my wife and me....Reason being I work with the company :). Not surprisingly my favorites are the automatics (I have the original and the Lake Michigan), followed by this one. The others are just lying around offices and cars and used as gifts or to wear for events or meetings.

kilofinal likes this.