Forums Latest Members
  1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

The biggest question and largest debate for any "soon to be" Speedmaster owner, is which variation to buy... Most people stick with the classic hesalite while the next largest group go slightly more modern sapphire.
    Not to start ANOTHER which is better thread because there are pros and cons to both.
    Viewing angles and self polishing are big, vs the non-issue of ever seeing micro scratches along with seeing the rear movement.
    One thing though, the speedy is unique that it's crystal is raised so far above the bezel therefore extremely exposed. Do Sapphire sandwich owners baby their watches in fear of chipping/shattering the crystal? And for all those experiences guys and watchmakers here, have you ever actually seen a shattered sapphire crystal on a Moonwatch. Is there any advantage to having a bulletproof hesalite top?

image.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2015

I doubt any of them worry but my ideal combination would be a normal hesalite moonwatch with a separate sapphire displayback added, the sapphire sandwich version also has that grey ring around the edge caused by the sapphire which bothers me, the hesalite doesn't do that.

3. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

Totally agree about the ring. Although looking at it from an angle it squared off very nice too. One problem I did had with it was it made the dial look a lot smaller on my 7.5in wrists... The "lunar eclipse" of the sapphire doesn't allow the black dial to blend into the bezel.
    But still, isn't the sapphire more realistic in daily use if you're not a Moonwatch purist. Or is the hesalite preferred because the watch is virtually a tank.
    No near of playing ball with it, dropping it, etc

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2015

Hesalite is cheap to replace and easy to polish, sapphire is more scratch resistant but when it chips or scratches a lot more expensive to replace

5. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

Yeah totally get that. But in regard to it chipping or shattering, my question is has anyone actually done that!?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2015

I've chipped three sapphires including a Rolex Daytona, Trev had a chipped SMPC never owned a Sapphire Speedmaster.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 18, 2015

Might be a matter of modern vs vintage. If you're looking for a vintage piece then it must be hesalite. Modern, probably sapphire.. look at the controversy with the FOIS. Even many vintage lovers like the FOIS, but dislike the sapphire.

Decisions, decisions! (hint: go vintage!)

8. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

Wow! That's why I asked... After all my years of wearing sapphire crystals I've been lucky I guess. I guess there is an argument for hesalite then.

9. Maximus84 Apr 18, 2015

If I'm honest, I think I do prefer the look of hesalite over the sapphire. However I bought the Sapphire Sandwich as a daily wearer, and wanted that extra durability without worrying about picking up minor scratches etc, no matter how easy they are to polish out.

After about 5 months of daily wear, the bracelet in particular has picked up quite a few scratches and marks, but the crystal remains unblemished, as I expected. I have another watch with sapphire and that has been battered about in all sorts of situations for the last 6 years or so and I e never worried about it. Granted, there is an extra risk with the crystal on the Speedy protruding from the bezel, but sapphire is a very hard material, you'd have to really smack it hard to damage it, as far as I understand.

It doesn't bother me that it's not exactly the same Moonwatch. Even the current hesalite version has differences to the one that was originally certified by NASA. The movement and design are close enough for me!

10. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

I agree that the sapphire is a ton less thinking about regarding daily wear. But then started to wonder about it chipping since it is so overly exposed. After all the debate here and other watch forums I hadn't ever seen someone say they shattered one making sapphire seem like the most likely choice for a modern day Speedy.

11. Shem Apr 18, 2015

One thing everyone forgets is that the sapphire crystal on the Sapphire Sandwich is double AR coated. AR coating isn't a whole lot harder to scratch than hesalite, and the only ways to correct it are to either polish the entire outer AR off or replace the crystal entirely (which is very expensive).

If small marks on the crystal are your concern, you can polish the hesalite to perfection with toothpaste or Polywatch at any time, and replacing it altogether is cheap. I would honestly consider hesalite to be the safer and less expensive long term option for someone who wears the watch in all conditions.

12. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

Actually Omega does not AR coat the tops of the sapphire moonwatches. Only the inside, so unlike their other watxhes you will not see the AR micro scratches.
    (Even says it on the website)

13. Shem Apr 18, 2015

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 1.50.45 PM.png

"on both sides."

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2015

I might be doing it wrong or something but my biggest complaint about Sapphire is that I seem to always chip them when replacing the crystal :(
    break-.jpg

15. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

Ha, I guess we are both right.
    Here's a photo from the mobile website.

image.jpg
  16. Shem Apr 18, 2015

That's interesting. Even on the web, the "new reference" sapphire sandwich only says "inside," whereas the specs for the old 3573.50 say both sides. Did they change it for the new model? That would be odd.

I will say that there's definitely outer AR coating on all the Speedy Pro variants I've owned with sapphire crystals.

17. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 18, 2015

I think it was changed. Maybe because the crystal is SO exposed...

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 18, 2015

I chipped my decades years ago and still have not fixed it. It was my first "real watch" in the 80's and I was actually under the impression Saphire was inmune, like superman. I had used it and banged it many times without issue, and then having a conversation about it I dropped it from about 12 inches and it cracked...the angle I suppose.

Frunkinator likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 18, 2015

Here it is, crack is at 7 O'clock. not that clear on this pictures

IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0323.JPG
  20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 18, 2015

I prefer the hesalite because I only see out of one eye and frequently (still!) run into door-frames and the like, and I can polish out the nicks. The hesalite is also more flexible than sapphire is.

Tom