Forums Latest Members

Sharing a recent acquisition... Looking for enlightenment..

1. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 7, 2016

Recently Purchased this.. maybe not strictly speaking "unique" but i've never seen another..
    no date marks no idea who the casemaker is "K"
    know very little about about "Wilka"
    Who presents a watch with a signature rather than a name??
    who could it be who is AB?
    How old is it?
    how do you locate a signature?
    could it be someone famous!?

Where do you start with a watch you know NOTHING about...

SAM_3407.jpg SAM_3389.jpg SAM_3406.jpg SAM_3377.jpg SAM_3381.jpg SAM_3373.jpg SAM_3375.jpg SAM_3343.jpg SAM_3351.jpg SAM_3130.jpg SAM_3139.jpg SAM_3326.jpg
    kkt, alam, Sanmilc and 4 others like this.
  2. rcs914 Dec 7, 2016

Only thing I could find:

[​IMG]

FullyWound likes this.
  3. Vitezi Dec 7, 2016

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 7, 2016

My first suggestion would be to do a Google search for "Col. J. W. Watson". Seems to have been a pretty prominent officer in the British Military who served in India during WWI. That is, if I have the right Col. J.W. Watson.

The watch case seems to have some hallmarks, although I can't really see then clearly in the pictures. Perhaps there are British import marks? Those usually carry some kind of a date code.

I notice that the watch looks very much like the one in the above advertisement shown in the middle of the last row. You may want to get more information about that advertisement.

The initials could be A.B or A.S.B or something like that. I've seen facsimiles of signatures engraved on jewelry before.

Just a few suggestions for starters.
    gatorcpa

FullyWound likes this.
  5. Drawarms Dec 7, 2016

very cool watch! DIBS.

6. ulackfocus Dec 7, 2016

I have a question for you @FullyWound - who buys a watch they know absolutely nothing about?

I have the answer for you too - n00bs.

As a group, we really have to stop doing the homework / research for impetuous n00bs. Time for them to start learning to spend a few minutes Googling or pay the n00b tax and really learn the hard way.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 7, 2016

Yeah your're right. I was curious myself about it after seeing it in the ad.

Then again, a lot more research needs to be done to back up who the original owner really is.
    gatorcpa

FullyWound likes this.
  8. Screwbacks Dec 7, 2016

or google to trace the owner of the watch. the good thing about this signed gift or commemorative vintage is that you can attempt to trace the heirs of the awardee and see if this piece means anything special to them.

9. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 8, 2016

yea well obviously i did ALL that got the avert learned a little about wilka who went out of business pretty quick etc etc AND i bought the watch because i liked it it was cool. its interesting.. its something to do!
    I found some stuff about Col Watson and the HMS whatever medic ship then got stuck AND isn't this what this forum is about?
    im not saying hey guy guys ! go and google this for me and send me some links!
    what im saying is
    Any prior knowledge?
    Anyone else own one
    Researched this before and "remembers a route to some links"?
    recognise the case maker "K" from any other watches (thats what i was really looking for too..)
    this is STUPID you could right this at the bottom of 90% of all forum threads and it would STILL be stupid.

im looking for open discussion on something interesting If you are NOT interested dont join in.. If you have NOTHING TO SAY say NOTHING.. ?? your reply makes no bloody sence?

10. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 8, 2016

... AND @ulackfocus you said the n00biest bullshit of all if i said "hey can you tell me about this (i dunno... ) Chronostop production 50,000 or whatever then yea ok do your homework before you buy BUT for all intensive purposes this is a pretty unique watch if i said it cost me £450 or i said it cost me £1000 you CAN NOT say i paid n00b tax you CAN NOT say uh stupid man you could have got it for less... its as much personal taste and ART as it is a production wrist watch... you CANT overpay for a watch like this you pay what you can afford to pay to put the watch in your collection because you WANT to.. and seemingly without any real other counterparts and the connection to Col Watson if i offered the watch for £1200 its worth that to someone who wants it.. as simply there is not another or so it would seem to everyone else's "drawing a blank" so "n00b tax" is the n00biest response of all...

11. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 8, 2016

back to wilka and specifically "This Swiss watch brand was founded in 1902 Geneve, Switzerland by Wilhelm Kaufmann" link provided by @Vitezi the sub link seems to insinuate its founder is the same founder of swatch group? "
    Harry Winston, Inc. is an American luxury jeweler and producer of Swiss timepieces.

Harry Winston is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Swatch Group, which acquired it from the Toronto based Harry Winston Diamond Corporation in January 2013.[2] Named after its founder, the jeweler Harry Winston, the company has its headquarters in New York.["

harry winston and said Kaufmann (swiss name but cant find anything on HIM as a watchmaker could he be the K? simply Kaufmann. for all intensive purposes a "independant watchmakers"

ALSO caliber recognition it looks "kinda like" several cymas calibers of around 1900-1910 ish but non match exact..

12. prontoprint Dec 8, 2016

Always like searching to confirm things. Here's confirmation of the logo inside caseback

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 10.06.35.png

FullyWound likes this.
  13. prontoprint Dec 8, 2016

Hallmarks on back of the watch are the infamous 14k Gold squirrel and number above should be 0.585.

Watch_cases_hallmarks.png

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 8, 2016

Not my cup of tea since I like to wear what I buy and I'd not be caught dead with this in my wrist but thanks for sharing. This watch wonderfully weird and has a story to tell. Have fun with it and keep us informed if you find out who the giftee in the inscription is.

FullyWound likes this.
  15. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 8, 2016

thats good good site i did not find this! bookmark added!

16. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2016

I take it back...... you don't need decaf, you need Xanax. The largest dose.

Hey, is there an "ignore" feature here? Now that I'm not a mod I don't have to put up with certain members.

17. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 8, 2016

Yea but... @ulackfocus... Look my thread was not directed at YOU.. Merely members that may show interest or, may not.. iI you are not interested in THIS thread dont reply..
    You dont feel the need to reply to every thread do you? ..
    I dont... only on the threads i feel i may or may not have at least SOME valid input but i never reply just to say something arsy or irrelevant.. it just seems pretty pointless..

Yes, There is an ignore button not on OF alone, but in life. Its called self censorship.
    I'm not going over to "Homage Forums" and calling them n00b cheap ass pretenders. (even if i may or may not feel that way) I dont like little pony i dont feel the need to voice this opinion at conventions for furries..
    You have no constructive input so make no input.. = Ignore button.

18. alam Dec 8, 2016

an interesting looking watch, something the wife will say "oh this one is nice" and quickly put on her wrist :D and I'm not saying this in a negative way ;) BTW, what size is?

19. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2016

Ok FullyCaffeinated, here's a tidbit for you: that watch's case design was an inexpensive way to keep dirt, dust, and other potentially damaging bits out of the movement. It's very similar to a Borgel case, without the screw down portion. Here ya go - some reading for you:

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/borgel.php

PS - my "ignore" question was rhetorical. I know that feature doesn't exist, but thank you for reminding me that I can ignore you voluntarily.

Where is that confounded spray?

FullyWound likes this.
  20. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 8, 2016

thats good see i never knew that.. (and im sure others too will benefit) honestly.. im off to look for some keys!