Forums Latest Members
  1. mega_man May 20, 2019

Hi forum,

Thanks for being a knowledge base as I’ve tried to learn the vintage omega (and watch) ropes.

I’ve pulled the trigger on a $300 1968 geneve ref. 166.041 with cal. 565 to test the vintage waters. It’s in working condition, but has an unknown service history. I obviously like the watch, but I understand there’s a low ceiling on its value (btw, feel free to make fun of my first entry into collecting).

Given the limited value, does anyone have any service recommendations? I’m also a relatively new Angeleno, so I have no idea where to start. Ideally I’d like to get the watch serviced for around $100. Tell me if that’s idiotic.

2. calalum May 20, 2019

Optimism is a good thing.

DaveK likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! May 20, 2019

In the UK at least $200-250 is a more realistic minimum service cost for an auto Omega, even at the cheapest back street Indy. If it’s much cheaper than that you have to ask what corners are being cut eg reusing the old set main spring. The 041 Geneve is a tempting piece in many ways and the purchase cost is often low but you can’t ignore the cost to put it right. I have had a couple, both moved on now.

Edited May 20, 2019
    mega_man and connieseamaster like this.
  4. connieseamaster May 20, 2019

You might want to multiply your service budget by about 3.

5. Snap Crackle May 20, 2019

Give Raul at Sunset Watch repair a call. His shop is close to dodger stadium if you’re in that area. He has done some work on a few older watches of mine that were in in the same condition/price range of yours in question and he kept the service quite reasonable. Ballpark of what your budget is but without repair needed. He’s quick too.

All depends on movement and if there are parts needed which drives the cost up.

If it’s running fine I say just wear it and enjoy it :D

mega_man likes this.
  6. mega_man May 20, 2019

Thanks for the rec. I’ll probably wear the watch for a bit and get it serviced if I enjoy it.

7. JwRosenthal May 20, 2019

My watch guy charges $125 for a regular service with mainspring and $250 for a chrono provided parts aren’t needed. But he’s a one man shop operating out of his house and been at it for 40 years- so semi-retired. They are out there, just don’t go to a jeweler to get it serviced...they usually outsource it and upcharge for it. Jewlers are my watchmakers bread and butter.

mega_man likes this.