Forums Latest Members
  1. captainstrange Dec 29, 2019

Hi all,

Needed some advice.

• Purchased my Planet Ocean back in Dec 2013
    • Wore it regularly until around 2017
    • Purchased a GMT II in Jan 2018 and stop wearing it after that
    • Only got the love back recently, when i changed the strap to an official rubber one
    • Now comfy as hell, and just sits and wears so much nicer.
    • Bought a Panerai Luminor 42mm before getting the strap for the Omega - but gravitating to the PO.

Now the warranty of 5 years has run out. Omega AD tell me service should be between 6-8 years, but more over when the watch starts to misbehave, or loses time, which it hasn't right now.

The fact I haven't really worn it properly for over 2 years or so, with no winding in between, does it mean i can prolong the wear before the service maybe in a year or 18 months time?

Just wanted some opinions really.

Thanks

2. OmeGez Dec 29, 2019

Just wind it up and see how it goes over the next few days, that’s what id do personally.

captainstrange likes this.
  3. KstateSkier Dec 29, 2019

I wouldn't service it until it breaks or stops keeping accurate time.

captainstrange and OmeGez like this.
  4. Meme-Dweller Dec 29, 2019

Just wear it normally and when timekeeping is off significantly or erratically, get it serviced. It's not a car that will leave you stranded on the road and a service today vs 2 years will be the same price (unless Omega raises the service price itself).

Also, your watch had the 4 year warranty, not 5. Only the new ones have a 5 year.

captainstrange likes this.
  5. captainstrange Dec 29, 2019

So i had the strapped replaced last Monday, and the AD re-wound it. Been wearing it since, no issues at all. As per the feedback on here, I will keep using it, until performance drops dramtically.

Just as an FYI - prices for servicing will be going up in the UK, starting Jan. Something like 430GBP to something like 460GBP

6. RARJ Feb 11, 2020

My 8500 POs are probably the most accurate watches I have (+1-2 seconds a day).

I got 12 years out of my 2500 before needing servicing and luckily the previous owner of my stainless 8500 did the service under warranty before it became mine. Could not be happier with them.

Just let it ride and then send it in when it becomes a noticeable variation in time. You'll send it in, it'll come back looking brand new and you'll fall in love all over again!

Premaster likes this.