Forums Latest Members
  1. LSU19 Jul 14, 2018

Hi y'all,

So we are in the process of moving, and I ran across these in my nightstand drawer. The old Seamaster was my Dad's (62-65?) and the women's is one I bought for the wife for nothing on the bay 2 or 3 yrs ago. Dad's ran great for years, but when it started ticking/stopping, I drawered it to keep it from running...the wife's, I'm sure is a mainspring issue as it lost time from day 1. Both need cleaning and servicing...we live near Houston, but since they're both pre-Swatch mvmnts, I'm not excited to hand them over to Omega at the Galleria and pay God knows what to only have them shipped God knows where...
    Y'all have any suggestions? Anyone you recommend/ have dealt with?
    20180714_145416.jpg
    PS- mine is a 562 and hers is...I forget. Dated it to '78 or '79, IIRC...thanks.

Edited Jul 14, 2018
  2. jimmyd13 Jul 14, 2018

The forums are pretty quiet at the weekend. If you don't get any constructive replies, give the thread a bump in the week. Your Dad had good taste and looks like you do too.

felsby and Wivac like this.
  3. LSU19 Jul 14, 2018

Thank you. I sure miss that man.

4. LSU19 Jul 15, 2018

Bump for the morning crew...who should be working!
    Slackers!!;)

5. ulackfocus Jul 15, 2018

Maybe the problem is we need to translate it for our Northeastern forum members so they can then possibly assist.

Let's see if that gets you some help.

kkt, LSU19, felsby and 2 others like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 16, 2018

Houston watch makers anyone?

LSU19 likes this.
  7. LSU19 Jul 16, 2018

PSU19 hahaha!!
    Love it. I worked in Philadelphia (fresh outta grad school...a long time ago) and showed up first day on the job in a chambray shirt and creased khakis. As I introduced myself, one of my co-workers looks me over and sneers, "Well at least you don't dress like you're from Louisiana." Ignoring the uncomfortable glances exchanged around me, I blurt out a sincere-as-Hell "Much obliged, ma'am!" Then lean right into her and ask, " ...but do I truly gotta wear shoes 'round here every day?"
    ::rimshot::

Actually, I'm not opposed to shipping them out of state to someone trustworthy...someone you GUYS can vouch for, but local would be less painful.

Edited Jul 16, 2018
    kkt likes this.
  8. kkt Jul 17, 2018

If you don't find anyplace in Houston, there's always Nesbit's in Seattle. http://www.nesbitswatchservice.com/

Pluses: Excellent work. Omega parts account plus their own stock of older Omega parts that you can no longer get from Omega. Usually done within a few weeks, they're not backlogged for months like some watchmakers. If you tell them to respect the original parts and not polish the case, they will do so (but you do have to tell them).

Minuses: Fairly pricey (but still not as much as Omega service). Generally only interested doing service for which replacement parts are available, but that shouldn't be a problem for yours.

For future reference, watches that you wear should be serviced every 4 to 5 years. The lubricating oil dries up and wearing it longer than that will cause greater wear on moving parts. Don't wait for the watch to show visible signs of not running properly to get it serviced.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  9. LSU19 Jul 17, 2018

It was last serviced around 2005-6 as my gift to him, but he hardly wore it. When he passed away in 2013 (and the watchmaker 2 months later), I wore it for about 3 months before I realized it was sticking, and drawered it to keep it from running till I found a reliable serviceman.
    Then, life happened, as it tends to do.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it horrifies me to think ANYONE would polish the case without a specific request to do so...I will keep looking, I think.

shaun hk likes this.
  10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 17, 2018

Did you see my PM?

11. LSU19 Jul 20, 2018

I did now...thanks!
    And to all that PM'd!