Forums Latest Members
  1. pknopp Oct 26, 2012

Just curious......I had mentioned to ulackfocus that I had a friend that owned a jewelry store so I figured I would just have my watch serviced there. Anyway, I stop in today to find out that they no longer do this sort of work and send everything out. I mentioned I really didn't want to send it off and she told me who to take it to.

It was a small independant shop that I was familiar with but had never been in. Russian fellow runs it and I ask him about service......so I'm curious.....he said something that made me just a little wondering. He said that he was backed up and I could leave the watch OR bring it back in about a month when he could get to it. I told him I would bring it back. He looks at the watch and says "good, this one is no problem, I really don't like working on the 1000's". He then quotes me $140 which was actually a little less than I figured.

Is there something special about the 1000 movements? Is he maybe not as up on Omega's as I would hope?

Thanks.

2. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2012

Actually, if he knows the 1000 calibers aren't as good as the older 55x, 56x, and 75x then he's familiar with vintage Omega. :thumbsup:

3. pknopp Oct 26, 2012

He didn't really say they were no good, just that he didn't like working on them. I was just curious.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 26, 2012

If he's an old Russian he probably grew up with cold war era Soviet cars, electronics and white-goods, and resents working to repair cheaply made, poorly engineered pieces of shit that break down all the time.

"In communist Russia.... Car work when IT want to go somewhere"

pknopp likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2012

You may want to read this article by Mondodec:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Movement4.pdf

There is a big difference between the early cal. 100X and the later 101X and 102X movements. The earlier ones tend to self-destruct if service intervals were not strictly adhered to.

IMO, while any these movements may be adjusted to be fine timekeepers, they require a little more work to get into proper tune.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. pknopp Oct 26, 2012

Thanks gator, I figure he was noting that the $140 wouldn't have applied to a 1000 series.