Forums Latest Members
  1. Roo#19 Apr 29, 2021

Can anyone help me - I bought a Speedy co axial moonwatch 9300 calibre in 2019. The watch was new from a boutique although it was manufactured in 2012. My question is should it get a service next year being 10 years since manufacture, or will it last (pending issues aside) for some years yet given it being 2+ years on my wrist, I assume in the years before it was in storage or display ? Thanks all

2. wagudc Apr 29, 2021

Regardless of weather the watch is worn or not oils dry up. I don't own any new watches of value (only vintage) so I so know if it would have been serviced before you bought it. Others can weigh in.

I love your avatar BTW!

Roo#19 likes this.
  3. Dan S Apr 29, 2021

In principle it should probably be serviced. But if you have a full five-year warranty from the purchase date, there could be some benefit in waiting, as long as the watch is running well.

4. kcgunner Apr 30, 2021

I don't understand why people service a watch while it's still keeping good time and running well. Use it until you have an issue.

Alex_TA likes this.
  5. wagudc Apr 30, 2021

The point is to avoid issues. If you apply the same logic to a car, why would you ever get an oil change on a car that is running well? Just drive it until you have an issue.

6. kcgunner Apr 30, 2021

I don't think you can compare you can compare a watch to an engine. One requires constant attention or it becomes a paperweight in, at most a year. The other can go decades without being touched and be working fine. There are so many YouTube vides on this it's not even funny. But most watchmakers will tell you that it's not needed until something stops working correctly.

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 30, 2021

At 10 years old it probably does need a service. As noted above you have a 5 year warranty. I’d get the performance checked out on a timing machine. If it’s out as spec, and it probably is you have the right to a free service. If it’s not I’d leave it for another year or two until it’s not.

Omegafanman likes this.
  8. wagudc Apr 30, 2021

I agree, the comparison is not exactly fair. Combustion in a car engine introduces contamination. A watch is probably closer to a transmission, moving parts and precision. Both need regular service. I stand by what I say. Countless posts by @Archer where he clearly documents damage due to lack of service using photos taken through a microscope. On a new watch it only costs money to replace worn out parts, but on a vintage watch replacement parts are hard to come by. Do whatever you think is best for you. You certainly can disagree with me, but hopefully now you understand why some service a watch that still seems to be running well.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 30, 2021

Seven years between manufacture and sale, is that common in the watch world? Seems a costly way of tying up money.

10. YY77 Apr 30, 2021

It depends whether it has a dial/face only a mother loves;
    upload_2021-4-30_9-4-50.jpeg

11. hronists Apr 30, 2021

does any of those posts cover brand new watch that happened to be sitting in a box for 10 years? My understanding is that "damage due to lack of service" most likely involves using watch for 10-20 years without service.

To OP - wear the watch and service it if it starts to act funny. If you want to be cautious ask watchmaker to inspect it.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 30, 2021

A watch movement has lubricant placed at certain key points where friction and wear occur. These deteriorate and evaporate given time even if there is no motion on the movement. Mainsprings can also set and lose elasticity so in use or not, time is a watch movements enemy. Synth oils help this, but nothing lasts forever. A 10 year old watch wont be as healthy as a newly serviced one.

wagudc likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2021

It's completely dependent on the situation - I say this every few days on this or another forum it seems, but the key thing is that there is no single rule for all situations.

If you have a modern watch, and parts are readily available, and you are using the brand service center, then letting it run until there is a problem is likely going to be the best from a purely financial standpoint. Brands tend to have a flat fee for service and replace all worn parts anyway, so letting the watch run won't cost you anything extra. The only caution is that if seals deteriorate and the watch leaks, that would be all on your dime.

For a vintage watch, when you are not using the brand service center (because of their asinine policies regarding vintage) and where parts are difficult to find and very expensive, using this same strategy would be a mistake. Your goal there should be to preserve the parts that are already inside the watch, so regular preventative maintenance is the best way to go. Otherwise, it will cost you a lot more.

There is no one size fits all manner to approach to servicing...

Cheers, Al

14. Donn Chambers Apr 30, 2021

this is great advise. If you send it in for a service, you will pay the full cost. If you send it in a year from now because the time-keeping is poor or the power-reserve is low, then Omega will service it under the warranty for free.

So, if it has problems before the warranty ends, send it in for a warranty repair.

if it has no problems, then once the warranty ends send it in for a service. There will probably be a lot of worn parts, but Omega lace all of them as part of the service at no extra cost.

wagudc likes this.
  15. M'Bob Apr 30, 2021

One issue I wonder about is typically, how long can you extend the service interval past five years if the watch hasn’t been used since new or its last service?

16. Roo#19 Apr 30, 2021

Thanks all the replies folks - much appreciated _ think best advice is wait for now as things are ok and take the free service nearer my 5 year window

padders likes this.
  17. hronists Apr 30, 2021

Why do you think you’ll get free service?

18. PandaSPUR Apr 30, 2021

If a problem presents itself during his 5 year warranty, he'll get it fixed for free.

wagudc likes this.
  19. SkunkPrince Apr 30, 2021

But, if there's not, he won't. :)