Forums Latest Members
  1. Peecmkr May 1, 2016

Plan on selling a Bond Seamaster 300. 2531.80 Needs a servicing been about 5 years. Should I sell it as is with the service recommendation or service it first and charge more?

2. stiofan WUS topic importer May 1, 2016

Edited May 9, 2016
  3. shutterlife May 1, 2016

Unless the watch is running slow, or you've done a lot of diving and the gaskets needs to be replaced, I would sell as is. Of course being open about the watch not being serviced, and how it's running. I don't think a serviced watch would fetch the price difference to justify the service. Just my opinion.

Nitzbar, Tony C. and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. Mothra May 1, 2016

IMHO you won't see that money back as most buyers a) don't bother getting watches serviced OR b) have a preferred watchmaker of their own.

5. GBTRIUMPH May 1, 2016

If a buyer were as picky as me, I say sell as is. He/She will only be satisfied after full evaluation upon receipt and then get it serviced anyway because it is "just not right" or "its running too slow".

Malik713 and joe.hammond.58 like this.
  6. OmegaSean May 1, 2016

Your going to get many many answers!!! Some will say service, some will say not, every buyer is an individual and some would buy with a service and some would buy without. Have you enquired about service costs and what price you expect to receive for the watch serviced or un-serviced?
    OmegaSean

7. joe.hammond.58 May 1, 2016

Concur. A true watch enthusiast will have it serviced regardless, so I would sell non-serviced, and advertise as such.

8. Flingit1200s May 1, 2016

I would sell it as both (of a sort). Get an estimate from your watch maker as well as a turn around time. Price the watch without the service with full disclosure on how it runs etc and that you can have it serviced for the buyer for $xxx in approx xx days.

9. Canuck May 1, 2016

After years of attending antique watch marts, I never believe the "just been serviced" comment! When I acquire a watch, I always add my own personal stamp by servicing it myself. That way, I know for sure. I recently sold a Hamilton 992E to a friend. For the selling price, I included a service. But he knows me, and he knows my work. But I really feel that a recent acquisition should be checked over by someone you can trust, and serviced if there is any doubt.

Malik713 likes this.
  10. Malik713 May 1, 2016

I like the peace of mind knowing that "my guy" has serviced the watch instead of "your guy."

Linzer likes this.
  11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer May 1, 2016

just describe it as it is - that's what I do:

no service history, watch running about XXXX s/d fast or slow, date consistently jumping over at 0.03am...winding smoothly and no excessive crown-play setting the hands - no issues

so I would like you to disclose the same thing that I "see" when I get the watch ...

that said, unless you have a signed/dated slip of a service center I assume its not been serviced

12. Bushido May 1, 2016

I agree with Flingit1200s. This way you're able to cover both types of buyers instead of excluding one for the other. If the buyer wants it serviced before taking possession, payment up front. Then if the buyer changes his/her mind while it's in for (or after) service, refund would be for less the service cost.

13. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 2, 2016

Invariably 'just serviced' means 'worked to specs when purchased'
    I usually offer less for a watch that claims 'just serviced' because it almost certainly means 'urgently requires servicing' unless I know the seller well. :)