Forums Latest Members
  1. ajnicholls Sep 20, 2017

Hello All,

does anyone recommend a watch maker in London that can service old Omega automatics? In my case it is an old late 1960s seamaster (pictured as my avatar). I have been using a particular company that I won't name (not Omega, but apparently certified by them) and they have been terrible, watch hands have fallen off for the first time after service, etc... They also did not break down the cost of service according to parts and labour, so I was left wondering what they actually did to the watch to justify the 400+ pounds that I paid them. I need care to be taken because the watch is a family heirloom.

Would you recommend only taking to an Omega boutique, or are there other reputable watch makers in London who can be trusted with this kind of work?

Many thanks,

JG.

Edited Sep 20, 2017
  2. jaguar11 Sep 20, 2017

Personally I use STS......

3. Mr Blond Sep 20, 2017

+1 for sts

4. ajnicholls Sep 20, 2017

what is sts?

5. kreyke Sep 20, 2017

STS = Swiss time services.

I use Richard Askham. I serviced a few of my seamasters with him. Value for money and very nice guy. Slightly long turnover though.

Edward53 likes this.
  6. ajnicholls Sep 20, 2017

Great many thanks to all, not that far from me either as I am in North East London near the Essex border.

Edited Sep 20, 2017
  7. khanmu Sep 20, 2017

8. default Sep 21, 2017

9. Mr Blond Sep 21, 2017

That’s London prices for you.

They’re ok, not great. Ive also seen quite a few over polished ones from clerkenwell

10. Tjmmartin Sep 21, 2017

I used to balk at at the price of vintage watch servicing until I reflected on what I pay for a car service etc. I don't know the intricacies of a watch service but now I consider them rather good value!

11. khanmu Sep 21, 2017

Yup , as the OP asked, I've never bought watches from them, only ever had watches serviced / fixed, and I'm always quite explicit that I don't want dials, crowns, hands changed...

Yes, they are little more expensive, but hey, so is your local fishmonger / butcher / greengrocer compared to Amazon or the big retail chains. I'm happy to pay a little more to keep a small family business open, and I get to talk about watches, straps, life etc whenever I'm there, in a way I'll never do with a corporate../

frederico and mikechi22 like this.
  12. SgWatchBaron Sep 22, 2017

@ajnicholls I personally vouch for Mr. Simon Freese. The ex head watchmaker of STS. I would say a better service, for a cheaper price.

He’s just one hour away from London. You can locate him here...

http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com

13. COYI Sep 23, 2017

Has anyone used the watch guy? Christian's prices seem to be very transparent and it looks like he often services vintage Omega watches

14. frederico Sep 23, 2017

I personally use The Antique Watch co and have bought a vintage omega from them too. It's a 3 generation family business. The son Jonathan does the servicing work, retired father updates the website (not very well!)
    http://www.antiquewatchcouk.com/

15. COYI Sep 23, 2017

"I have been using a particular company that I won't name (not Omega, but apparently certified by them) and they have been terrible, watch hands have fallen off for the first time after service, etc... They also did not break down the cost of service according to parts and labour, so I was left wondering what they actually did to the watch to justify the 400+ pounds that I paid them"

It sounds like they deserve to be named so other forum members don't have similar problems.

There's only one thing worse than being overcharged and that is shoddy work.

16. frederico Sep 23, 2017

So why don't you just name them already! :confused:

17. maxbelg Sep 23, 2017

Hi, I've had 4 Speedys serviced by Christian and a few other watches and have always been VERY satisfied. You can pm me for more detail.

COYI likes this.
  18. Mr Blond Sep 23, 2017

£400 for a service isn’t that bad IMO

Hands falling off though is never a good thing

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 23, 2017

A number of members use them.
    I have my Connies serviced by the Watchguy.
    Very satisfied with their service.
    Just difficult to get a slot for new customers sometimes.