Forums Latest Members
  1. Cal 1345 Aug 16, 2014

I need some honest and unbiased advice. Background: I inherited my dad's cal 1345 quartz Omega a fees years ago and love it. Nice watch and sentimental. An inept local jeweler broke the battery clasp which I'm having trouble getting repaired but that's a other story for another day. I want another very nice watch that keeps accurate time and requires little maintenance, since I live in an isolated small rural town. I've wanted an Omega Divers 300 for a long time. My son has had very bad experience with a Seiko automatic so I'm leery of an automatic, but from what I've read from the forums, they're the cats meow. I've had a Seiko quartz diver since my 17 the birthday and had great results (I'm 50 now), another sentimental attachment. I've been watching the "recommended auctions" but since I'm a newbie I'm afraid of buying something that's not authentic. I would appreciate any comments and advice on the Divers pro 300 for a every day wearer, not a collector. This I'm what I'm watching right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331290621000Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network Any thoughts or opinions?
    thank you very much for your knowledgable help.

2. Cal 1345 Aug 16, 2014

Ok, Not my most eloquent post ever but hopefully you get the point to my question.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

2254.50 is a great watch and very popular, don't be put off by the box being a bit marked, those boxes are known to fall apart. They're cheap and easy to service and very solid, $2k is a reasonable price for that with box and cards.

DLT222 likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

Looks like it does have all the links too which is nice

5. Cal 1345 Aug 16, 2014

Thanks , may I ask, without getting to technical for a newbie, what is the difference between this movement and a new production model? I apologize for such elementary questions I just want to learn a little more about these. I know quartz accuracy isn't expected but what is a reasonable expectation for an automatic?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2014

The Calibre 1120 in this model (2254.50) is based on the ETA 2892-A2 which is still widely used and in production, the latest Omegas have Calibre 8500 which is an in-house movement, and a fair bit more expensive. The Cal 1120 will easily keep chronometer specs (-4 to +6 per day) and is very well made.

DanOmega and Fusion like this.
  7. Cal 1345 Aug 17, 2014

Bump, maybe last question on this. I see a lot on winders, are they just used when you have several watches? I wear my quartz all the time, very rarely take it off. Does constant wear(day and night) just average out the activity required to keep the movement wound?

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

No need for a winder, modern full rotor automatics are quite efficient, as long as you give it its initial 40 turns hand-winding it when you first put it on to get the power reserve up, a normal daily use will keep it wound, no need to keep it on a winder. The power reserve is about 2 days.

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. Fusion Aug 17, 2014

dsio I have never heard of winding an automatic watch 40 times before use, why do you say that? I just slap it on my wrist if it's stopped, let it 'charge' for a couple hours and set the time.

To the OP - I have had several watches with the 1120 movement and have no complaints. As far as I am concerned it's a work horse. That being said, my favorite seamster 300 with the 1120 needed service (was running a little quick) but it had been YEARS since service. Just send in your watch every few years and it will treat you well. Just my $0.02. BTW my 1120 watch is the same model as the one you are looking at.

2013-11-24 20.30.09.jpg I LOVE the watch and you will to. My dad has a black one and I think the black is excellent, probably a bit more versatile too. IDK about the price of the one on ebay.. I think you could do a little better, try watchrecon.com and type in the reference number, or 'seamaster' and see what comes up second hand. Then again if dsio says it's a good price it is probably a good price ;)

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

The manual for my cal 1128 (a cal 1120 with a GMT function) specifies 60 winds to charge the watch once it's stopped. A few winds will get it going, but it won't be fully charged.

Fusion likes this.
  11. woodwkr2 Aug 17, 2014

Indeed, usually watches are regulated with a full "charge" on the mainspring. As the power reserve of the mainspring decreases, the amplitude drops and can result in sub-par time keeping. This is actually a long and quite technical discussion, but suffice it to say that you'll get best timing performance from your watches by following the directions. That is, giving them the manual winds needed to "charge" the mainspring. From that point on, unless the watch if off your wrist for significant amounts of time, you shouldn't have to do anything else for an automatic movement.

12. Cal 1345 Aug 19, 2014

Dsio, and any others with insight, Originally I had thought I wanted a quartz movement since I'm looking for an great every day watch with a good history and reputation, not collecting, what are your thoughts on this one and does it appear legit?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161393066917?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    thank you again for your help,
    T.

13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 19, 2014

Although it's obviously been someone's "daily beater", that's what these are really meant to be. Because it's so complete, the BIN price scares me as it seems pretty low. At the price you could afford a complete service and wear till ya drop ;-) I'm sure the real experts will advise you correctly. Good hunting, Miki

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2014

The BIN doesn't seem very off the mark, considering its quartz.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2014

That's also a mid-size not a full size, its 36mm not 42mm

16. Cal 1345 Aug 19, 2014

I haven't seen one of these first hand but for comparisons sake, I believe it's more the same size as my current Seiko Sport 100 quartz, maybe 1 or 2 mm difference. Other than it being mid size, does everything appear correct? MikiJ classifies it as someone's beater, does the condition look that bad? I see a lot mentioned about the material of the bezel, what is this composition on this model? I hope you guys aren't getting frustrated with so many elementary questions. There's just so much more to this than I had expected when I started looking.

17. chickenman26 Aug 19, 2014

You're right. It looks about the same size on the wrist as an old Seiko Sports 100, which I also own. Everything on this watch appears correct. I recently paid $200 more than that one for essentially the same watch, but in the blue Bond style. It had fewer small flaws than this one, but the price here is reasonable. Besides, he's taking offers, so give it a go. He's got good feedback, though not a large number, and he's offering a money back return policy. If accuracy is a concern, I can tell you this watch will make you happy. Mine hasn't gained or lost even one second in the month I've owned it. It's a caliber 1538 with an advertised (by Omega) battery life of 42 months.

Stu O

18. Cal 1345 Aug 19, 2014

Thanks everyone for the input, I think I've decided on a 2264, I'm assuming the case on the quartz is slightly thinner than the automatic. Now the search is on. Feel free to comment, any additional direction is welcomed.

19. Cal 1345 Aug 19, 2014

20. Cal 1345 Aug 19, 2014