Forums Latest Members

Serious collectors: your honest opinions of the 376.0822 aka "Holy Grail"

1. OmegaRolex Jul 28, 2016

In the eyes of serious Omega collectors, does this model live up to its reputation? What are your thoughts on the future collectibility of this model? Is this piece considered a worthy addition to a Speedmaster collection? Is it considered a true member of the "Moonwatch" family?

2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 28, 2016

3. Donn Chambers Jul 28, 2016

One thing to remember about this watch is that it was the late Chuck Maddox's "holy grail", not everyone's. Yes, it was not produced in high numbers, which makes it rare. Yes, it has the Lemania 5100 variant in a Speedmaster-style case. But, the dial is really busy, and it is a very thick watch. So it won't appeal to a lot of Speedmaster collectors like the 1960s era Speedmasters. It's price has really skyrocketed because Chuck's old articles, but I don't see it sustaining those prices in the long run.

The Mark III and IV Speedmaster prices have leveled off at much lower values in the last decade. I forsee the "Grail" dropping closer to these in the next few years. IMO, th Speedmaster 125 (although not as attractive) is a more significant watch, being the first chronometer certified automatic chronograph.

4. OmegaRolex Jul 28, 2016

5. OmegaRolex Jul 28, 2016

Is this reference considered a "moonwatch?"

6. rcs914 Jul 28, 2016

Depends on who you ask - if you look at the "Moonwatch" section on Omega's website there are all sorts of watches that don't qualify for that moniker. I think you will find around here that "Moonwatch" only applies to the original, hand-wind watches, and the subsequent variations all based on that same case and calibre. IE a DSOTM is not a Moonwatch, in the strictest sense. It has design ques inspired by the Moonwatch, but isn't one itself.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 28, 2016

It dependson what you think moon watch means. I would say there are three to four definitions.

Any watch in a moon watch style case with a tach and chrono. This would include the new coaxial watches and the Grail.

Any Lemania 321 or 861 caliber watch in a speedy case. This includes the 145.022-current and current manual watches and earlier symmetrical cased watches. ( I guess you could not include the pre moon watches like the Ed White)

Only a 321 asymmetric cased speedmaster the only version actually on the moon.

Edited Jul 28, 2016
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 28, 2016

It could be considered the grand daddy of the speedmaster automatic line...

personally, I like the reference. Wears nicely, easy to read, lots of functions.

But as noted, I don't think it's a 'moonwatch'. Speedmaster yes (like the dsotm line), but moonwatch, no.

Foo2rama and JohnSteed like this.
  9. OmegaRolex Jul 28, 2016

Hi oddboy, that's interesting because I noticed from old threads (and photos) that you used to have one of these examples in your possession (but I think you sold it). Would you say that the distinction is the "Professional" line on the dial for a real moonwatch?

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 28, 2016

Hey OmegaRolex,

I did have one... in fact, I've had two but both are now gone. I love the watch, but I like 2998's more.

For me, as others have said, its a 321, 861 or 1861 manual wind, hesalite crystal, solid steel caseback and the classic moonwatch case ideally on steel bracelet.

Uniqez likes this.
  11. OmegaRolex Jul 28, 2016

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little bummed... I guess I don't have a "real" moonwatch. :-(

12. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 28, 2016

Omega used to throw the "Professional" moniker around pretty loosely, too. The Mark II, some of the Mark IIIs, and the Mark IVs were all denoted as "Professional" by Omega, but I don't think anyone considers them moonwatches.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 28, 2016

Don't be bummed. It's a great watch! I'd still have one but a great opportunity for a 2998 landed on me and I had to come up with some sizeable $$$ quickly, so I had to let it go.. I'll probably pick one up again some day.

Andy K likes this.
  14. OmegaRolex Jul 29, 2016

Other than its:
    1) noisy rotor wobble
    2) lack of water resistance

This reference has been the most useful daily wearer I have ever owned.

IMG_2159.JPG

15. M'Bob Jul 29, 2016

While I do appreciate the watch, and it's lofty position within the Speedmaster pantheon, I find it too busy graphically for my tastes.

16. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 29, 2016

Love it and regret so much the two offers below 5k I used to decline... ::facepalm1:: For what ever reasons. This will most probably never ever happen again :whipped::( This definitely in the top5 of my wishlist now.

mappleluna likes this.
  17. andy_s Aug 7, 2016

I like it for a lot of reasons; from a Lemania perspective it was probably the last great upgrade/evolution of the classic Speedmaster (auto, date). The dial is relatively cluttered but in operation the minute and second chrono hands are more easily seen/read/distinguished than the smaller 30min subdial arrangement, plus you have the 24hr function to boot. The movement (1003 Radial prototype) was tested by NASA in '78 and it passed, but the more traditional 861 was favoured into service during the second round of procurement.

It sits in my top 3 Lemania 5100 watches -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tapaptpat, kov, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  18. OmegaRolex May 10, 2018

Two years later, you couldn't be more wrong about Grail prices.