Forums Latest Members

Sequestered at home from Covid 19. Thank God for hobbies

1. redpcar Mar 21, 2020

Hammering ebay looking for things to do on a rainy day. This just in and I have time.

upload_2020-3-21_17-20-11.png

Seller had it at 39mm and not running. Luckily, I know that it is really a little over 35mm (unscrupulous seller). Ironically, it ran beautifully. Just some cosmetics and viola.

upload_2020-3-21_17-22-59.png

Edited Mar 21, 2020
    sjg22, 0uss, kingsrider and 30 others like this.
  2. connieseamaster Mar 21, 2020

Damn it. If that watch wasn't so ugly and out of proportion, I'd wear it for the humor value alone.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  3. Walrus Mar 21, 2020

Just yesterday I was working with someone on a deal. Went back today to make a final offer and it would have been more than he sold it for. I really am seeing a lot of good prices but they are moving quick. I can’t look every ten minutes. What do I do for f2f sales now. Stand six feet away and ask him to toss me the watch? Funny times but I am going to pick something decent up this month just for a little cheer. Nothing major but I’ll find something, maybe even here.

4. redpcar Mar 21, 2020

Ouch. Folex removed? It's a Rolex parity, if you will. Is it any worse than any of the homage out there? Not meant to fool anyone.

Moderators, can you explain?

5. redpcar Mar 22, 2020

Ok. Weekend project complete. Here is a pic of how it arrived. Case was trashed. Quartz Miyota movement. Went through my stash of diver cases and found an old Waltham from the 80's that had the correct rehaut and opening for the dial. Broke off the dial feet and dial dotted it to a nice ETA auto. Found a case back that fits and leave room for the rotor. Movement holder took a little time. Hand post sizes were different so found a set that works. Cheapie bracelet to match the cheesy atmosphere and Viola.
    Before
    upload_2020-3-22_20-13-27.png

After

upload_2020-3-22_20-14-42.png

For the moderators who might think this is a replica. Folex is not a registered trademark to Rolex. The logo is funny. Call it a homage. Please let it ride. If there is a problem, please let me know.

sjg22, Mad Dog, noelekal and 6 others like this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 22, 2020

I would have gone with Fauxlex ;)

fun project :thumbsup:

0uss, patrick1616, 64Wing and 3 others like this.
  7. redpcar Mar 22, 2020

Sitting in front of the tube (still) and thinking DANG this one looks cool. A hint of Explorer. If it was only a little bigger. Just a little.
    Could also focus some? ;)

upload_2020-3-22_20-39-14.png

noelekal and Duracuir1 like this.
  8. BradleyJ. Mar 24, 2020

Even though I got nothing to do at work I'm still forced to go in. Decided to take this slow time to try new things and re-stitched my snoopy strap since the white was getting dingy.

20200322_173445.jpg 20200324_120923.jpg
    sjg22, ConElPueblo, noelekal and 5 others like this.
  9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 2, 2020

Working from home, and trying to create a tidy new work area :thumbsdown: so I made a handy leather keeper for my earbuds!

74D45FF0-5EC9-42B9-ACE9-E864D746433E.jpeg 330B6DA1-4016-494B-89EA-5D027ED2A059.jpeg

sjg22, ChrisN, Benbradstock and 9 others like this.
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 2, 2020

I have some guitar tech work to do. (Technical writer by trade)

Tom

ZIELSZIEK and DaveK like this.
  11. ZIELSZIEK Apr 5, 2020

I opened up my netbook today for a ram upgrade and cleaning. Being greeted by a fingerprint is always a good sign.
    Also came around to replacing the capacitors on an old VGA monitor that comes handy when working with older computers.(picture taken before capacitor replacement)
    Not as exciting as the op's folex build but this sort of stuff keeps me occupied.
    InkedIMG_20200202_181221_LI.jpg IMG_20191227_123117.jpg

noelekal and DaveK like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2020

In my line of work, being greeted with a fingerprint is most definitely NOT a good sign...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those finger prints came from the factory service center...::facepalm1::

Fortunately no serious damage, so after a proper service it ran well...

[​IMG]

sjg22, Benbradstock, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  13. ZIELSZIEK Apr 5, 2020

I was only being ironic, I guess all of this social distancing that has been going on made my social skills suffer a bit since my irony is not as sharp as it used to be.
    I'm baffled by your post. Although it made me chuckle at first, I'm wondering how this could be admissible. At IWC's pricepoint one can expect some proper servicing.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2020

I'm baffled too. This is the same service center that when a customer if mine sent them a Panerai, they took 3 attempts to get it to run right, and when he got it back they had smeared grease on the movement from the case back seal:

[​IMG]

And the monkey who did the service didn't bother to put down one screwdriver and pick up a proper 3 mm driver when he removed and installed the ratchet and crown wheel screws:

[​IMG]

The 6497 is the movement that watchmakers learn on in watchmaking school, and using the right sized screwdriver is such a basic thing that is drilled into your head day after day, it's baffling that someone who is supposedly a professional would do something like this. Surely in a service center where a good portion of your work is servicing these movements, they would supply their watchmakers with the required 3 mm screwdrivers, so I can only chalk this up to them not giving a crap.

When he took it back for them to repair these two issues (the 4th trip) they said they would not fix them under warranty - he would have to pay again because he was being too picky. He sent it to me, so I fixed the issues...

15. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 11, 2020

Basil in my click & grow garden, day 19! Also bread, also a business card holder made from an old boot. Next up, learn Japanese? Karate? Metallurgy? :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sjg22, Edward53, Benbradstock and 8 others like this.
  16. TexOmega Apr 11, 2020

I have the earlier HEATY Duty example

Wyler.jpeg

redpcar and cristos71 like this.
  17. cristos71 Apr 12, 2020

Nice, I always like my diters heaty duvy :thumbsup: :D

TexOmega likes this.
  18. ExpiredWatchdog Apr 20, 2020

Here's a couple posts from our daughter and another that I put together from mantas at Raja Ampat in Indonesia.

Hope you enjoy!

Added another episode of her doing Country Road by John Denver

Edited Apr 24, 2020
  19. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 20, 2020

Finally finished my pocket watch lanyard. Spent some time puzzling a design that, for safety, would be able to quick release from my belt. I also wanted to easily be able to remove or swap out pocket watches. Biggest win, finally got some competence on the mystery braid (continuous piece of leather, yet it has a braid in the middle).

6B9B0824-B2EF-4053-B5FF-6CE3B9DCBC30.jpeg

What else have folks been creating?

20. lindo Apr 20, 2020

I started collecting antique Japanese swords and fittings many years ago. Like watch collecting, the hobby tends to attract OC types with fanatical attention to detail and things having to be 'right'.

I have had a lot of pleasure in finding old swords that pernickety collectors won't touch because they are dirty, the fittings have been damaged or are missing. Sometimes I have come across an old sword that looks pretty bad at first glance, but under the dirt I could see potential. And frankly most of my pleasure lies in restoring the piece, rather than simply improving it to make money.

A few months ago I was offered such a project piece, which I put away for a rainy day. It had mismatched hilt fittings, a rusty and grimy tsuba, a horrible collection of washers for the tsuba, which was loose on the blade anyway, and a knocked about scabbard.

The good things were that the blade was still in good Japanese polish without rust, it was genuinely old (I considered it circa 1500 or even earlier) and it was priced at only a quarter of market value. After I bought it a collector friend said he used to own the sword and still had a copy of the official NTHK certificate attributing the blade to a sword making clan operating in the 1500s.

That was before the virus arrived. What a perfect project for working at home.

I can't show you 'before' pictures unfortunately, but here it is after returning it to how it would have looked hundreds of years ago.

IMG_2337.jpg

A closer image of the restored tsuba, with proper washers.

IMG_0092.jpg