Forums Latest Members
  1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 15, 2017

As I have written a couple of times I inherited my dad's Omega 2639-1, when he died last October. The watch had also been his dad's bought in 1950 or 51 and of course it means the world to me. Besides it looks awesome.

A quick pic :)
    IMG_0618.JPG

Last week my mum went through some drawers and found my other granddad's (her father for the dim witted :D) old watch, which he got sometime in the mid-60s for his 25 years anniversary at the bank where he worked. All together I think he worked the same place more than 50 years.

It is a gold plated Nivada Antarctic Automatic coming in at a very modest 33mm without the crown. The crystal is pretty scratched, the plating on the case is worn through on a couple of the lugs and the design is very far from what is in fashion today both with vintage and new watches.

As opposed to the Omega 2639 this is never a watch I would consider buying - not even for a $1.

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2573.JPG
    BUT it has been my grandfather's. He was at certain times a cranky and very traditionelly minded (might be called conservative) old man, but whom I also loved very much. He came home from work at exactly the same time for 50 years, expected the dinner to be ready, when he got home (wouldn't dream of helping in the kitchen of course) and demanded absolute silence when he watched the news and his favorite quiz show on television and was a great opposer to the EU and most things foreign.

Somehow I really like that his watch is not one I would consider buying myself. This is HIS watch. And you know what, I will wear it proudly and will try to wear it often. The size doesn't bother me, it was just a different time back then regarding watch design and if he could wear a 33mm watch so can I.

So it will be off to a much needed service which will probably cost a lot more than the actual value of the watch but so what. This is pure sentimental value which beats anything!

Hope you have a great day :)

kkt, BlackTalon, Peemacgee and 5 others like this.