Forums Latest Members

Semi modern watch polishing?

1. llvhhui Jun 9, 2018

From what I’ve learned so far, if you send a semi modern Omega or Rolex let’s say from 90s or 00s in for a service, they’ll probably polish the watch. Is it a bad thing? Or would you rather buy a recently serviced and polished one or an unpolished one but will need to be serviced soon?

2. Dan S Jun 9, 2018

I'm trying to follow your question. I think you want to sell your watch. And you want to know whether you should have it serviced by Omega before selling it? If that is your question, then the answer is "no". Just sell it as is. You won't make back the cost of the factory service in an increased sales price, and you will have to wait a long time, which is an opportunity cost.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question, but it was a little confusing. Can you clarify?

3. llvhhui Jun 10, 2018

Actually it's the opposite. I'm trying to buy a watch. There's one that's unpolished and unserviced. The other one has recently returned from a full service but also polished during service.

4. Dan S Jun 10, 2018

Got it. The main concern about polishing is if it has been done in such a way that the sharp edges have been rounded and/or the finish is incorrect. For a modern watch, Omega should be able to refinish the case to factory specs, with the correct finish (e.g. brushes, polished, etc.) on each surface and sharp edges. If that's the case, it really wouldn't decrease the desirability for most people, in fact it would make the watch more appealing. Yes, some metal is lost in the process, but a single refinish shouldn't cause a major problem. On the other hand, if the polishing was sloppy and resulted in rounded edges and incorrect finishes, then you wouldn't want it. Obviously, a watch with a documented movement service is always desirable. I hope this helps. Feel free to post photos and asking prices if you want people to comment specifically on those two watches.

thefish and shishy like this.
  5. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 10, 2018

It's convenient that it was serviced... How polished is it and side do you personally care that it was polished? Or rather, do you value it being serviced more or less than how polished it is?

Are you buying to keep it for yourself or do you plan on eventually selling it later?

6. llvhhui Jun 10, 2018

Thanks for the info!
    I was looking at some of the pre-owned subs the other day. Some claimed to be unpolished and some claimed to be recently serviced. Let me see if I can find two specific watches for comparison.
    Also, if it's polished by Rolex or Omega, they usually do a good job?

7. llvhhui Jun 10, 2018

Looking to add a sub to my collection. I was just browsing the other day. Forgot which one I saw specifically.

shishy likes this.
  8. Dan S Jun 10, 2018

It's not so helpful to talk about generalities. If you really want to take advantage of the expertise in the forum, post photos when you are serious about buying a particular watch.

llvhhui likes this.
  9. Buck2466 Jun 10, 2018

I think the majority here would prefer an unpolished and will need a service. Then it can get serviced by their own trusted watchmaker to their liking. That is the collector perspective. I think in general, the average (majority of) watch buyers that buys a modern luxury watch, are a sinle watch owner and can justify spending a good amount on one watch that they will wear daily. When the watch gets beat up through normal wear and needs a service, they probably expect it to come back all shiny and new looking with all the scratches removed and are completely happy.