Forums Latest Members
  1. Stu-Silver Nov 3, 2014

I have a modest collection of watches which more recently has included a small number of Omega watches. I started collecting watches around 3 years ago and really love vintage Seiko chronographs, mainly 6138's which ooze 70's style and I have half a dozen mint examples which I love. However, I have not typed in a Seiko as a search for last 12 to 18 months and my interest has firmly shifted to Omega, my interest in which started after inheriting my grandads 60's Seamaster. I now spend my time researching vintage Omegas and browsing eBay daily and I am starting to consider selling my Seiko's to help fund a new Omega(s). I don't loads of spare cash and am itching to fund another watch purchase. Have any of you sold off your initial collections, or do you regularly sell to fund other purchases. If so, did you regret selling your early stuff? My current interest is in the Seamaster 120 and 300. Feel it's too early in my journey to dive in and save for a 300 and feel I should aspire to this, so maybe a 120! Your thoughts and stories please.

2. Mothra Nov 3, 2014

:) I sold seven of my initial collection recently to fund an hour vision. I don't miss six of them, but bitterly regret selling one of them. This probably doesn't help much, but I guess I'm saying be sure about which ones you sell.

On the other hand, I love my hour vision.

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 3, 2014

Sold quite a bit off. Really only regret the two SM300 I had (one vintage, one watchco) that was a huge mistake.

I am looking to sell off several more to fund one watch. My challenge is which ones to let go. I have listed some of them several times and lulled them back.

I am now looking for either an Omega Grand or Ploprof. Then I am done.

4. Stu-Silver Nov 3, 2014

Would love t see your hour vision, only 1 regret out of 7 isn't too bad, can I ask what it was. Don't think I would be too sad to see mine go if I got the right watch in return. I mentioned it might be too early for a SM 300 but only because it doesn't feel right to jump straight up to one.

5. Stu-Silver Nov 3, 2014

SM300 is on my wish list, pretty close to the top but a Conny Grand is way up there too. 300 more achievable in terms of price for me, so leaves me some where to go. I have a lovely steel 1959 Constellation in super condition which I think it my favourite watch at present.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 3, 2014

I would say 'famous last words", but with aficionados there is no "last" watch, only the next one. :p

As for the OP, selling to buy seems to be a practical & logical approach, given what you've said.

7. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2014

If your considering it, you'll end up doing it soon enough. Go with it - there's always other Seikos to buy if you regret selling.

8. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 3, 2014

Buying and selling is part of the fun. Sometimes you give up pieces to acquire others but of course you want to collect them all. As long as it keep the hobby exciting and alive then selling is part of the fun. Now if you sold a family heirloom then that is another story unless it funds something really important.

citizenrich, dougiedude and JohnSteed like this.
  9. JohnSteed Nov 3, 2014

Yeah, the universe seems to grow more vintage watches than possible for me to buy without blowing my reality gasket (sanity) and vital relationships. For me, it's needful to balance my chi that I simply must (tho regrettably) SELL if I BUY, no matter how I don't wanna

Selling is pretty cool, I admit!

citizenrich likes this.
  10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 3, 2014

I've sold many a watch where I thought afterwards, 'gee, why did I sell THAT one!, then, reassuring myself that I can always buy one again later; but that has yet to happen!

11. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2014

Bottom line: if you're selling to upgrade, you won't miss most of the watches you let go.

citizenrich and Taddyangle like this.
  12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 3, 2014

+1

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 3, 2014

Then I am done.

Yes, I retract this statement....

14. roach7 Nov 3, 2014

I'm always hunting for the next watch. And since I don't have unlimited money, the only way is to sell some of the earlier pieces. This is what makes this hobby fun!

Post some of your Seiko collection!

Event horizon and JohnSteed like this.
  15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 3, 2014

Yep, seems I always want what I don't have in this hobby... although I always love what I have already, too...:D

16. Stu-Silver Nov 4, 2014

Thanks folks, think it may be time to move on and sell a few. I keep trying to hold onto everything but don't have enough free cash and my patience is waining! Will brush up the photography skills I think. Of the ones shown, I would be tempted to hang on to dress watches as they rant gonna generate too much cash and are really nice examples. May hang onto slide rule as this is rare and whilst a bit chipped has its inner plastic marker which is hens teeth stuff. My favourite chrono is the silver Panda on brown strap, this is a beautiful watch and wont be leaving.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  17. Stu-Silver Nov 4, 2014

Not a very good photo, but looking to add to this little stable which is my total Omega collection. :)

image.jpg
    davidswiss and rolexfantastic like this.
  18. bupdyke Nov 4, 2014

Nice Seiko and Omega collection! If you sell to buy, always try to upgrade or get something you love, try to never look back, and enjoy life and the new members of the family. Unless you sell a one-of-a-kind piece, you can always come around later and trade to get a piece you miss.

citizenrich likes this.
  19. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2014

PM me with some info about the bullhead and Sports 5 Speed Timer shown above.

20. Zuke Nov 4, 2014

That bullhead is pretty nice!