Forums Latest Members

Seiko Samurai Upgrade(?)

1. CodeFour Apr 28, 2018

I was bitten by the mechanical watch bug about 20 years ago, obsessed and researched for years, then finally bought my first - a Seiko Samurai - in 2006 (borrowed image, but same model - SNMO11, stainless and black).
    I have absolutely loved this watch and it has gone everyplace with me since then.
    The only 2 things that bothered me about the watch, after some years of wear and tear, were the aluminum bezel and mineral crystal. I’ve always liked the way domed sapphire and ceramic bezels look, but have been waiting for those features for when I buy a luxury watch sometime in the next year or two. But...I couldn’t wait and decided it was time to try my hand at modding. I bought a domed sapphire AR crystal from Crystal Times, and a ceramic bezel insert from DLW Watches. Crystal Times had the exact crystal for my model, but the ceramic bezel was more difficult. I wasn’t surprised that I couldn’t find an exact bezel insert for my model. So I researched dimensions, did some educated guessing, and went with a ceramic bezel intended for the Seiko Sumo. I watched a few YouTube videos on the subject and bought a crystal press for about $12 US.
    I love to tinker, so the whole process was very fun! The crystal fit perfectly, but the bezel insert is a bit too tall/thick. The bezel insert’s diameter is perfect though, so it fits but just sits a bit proud of the bezel.
    I am by no means a watchmaker, and the mod is by no means perfect, but it was a fun project, I didn’t ruin my watch or the removed parts, it has a shinier/deeper look that I love, and it is more resilient against scratches. All thoughts positive and negative are welcomed!
    Cheers F50FCA6B-FDAC-4D17-A645-D1DAF38F0052.jpeg 4837231D-46EE-4EB9-9AB7-AF3FA243A2A8.jpeg

2. JesterP Apr 28, 2018

Wow nicely done. I am currently Doing my office up with a desk for similar stuff. Well done to you. Enjoy

3. CodeFour Apr 28, 2018

Thanks! I hope you have as much fun with your new setup as I did with this project.

4. chipsotoole Apr 28, 2018

Very nice mod looks great. I thought the Seiko Samurai was exclusively for the SBDA001 SBDA002 and SBDA003 models. (black blue and orange). This was due to their particular hand shape. I bought myself an all titanium (bracelet too) one in Thailand in 2007 ...also the first important watch for me ..my constant companion for years and the one that goes on holiday with me. ..I see now Seiko has revamped the name for a new series. They are brilliant diving watches...

5. CodeFour Apr 28, 2018

Thank you. Seiko divers really do have something special. I love that they aren’t homages, they are tough and stylish, accurate, but also affordable. I think they are a great way to participate in watch collecting in a meaningful way (a company with heritage, its own designs, in-house movements, etc.) but still be within reach for more of us.

6. Edwinowl Nov 20, 2019

Bought the black samurai titanium years back early 90s from japan, off currently for a service but a great watch ill dig a pic out later, it did go back to seiko for the bezel as it popped off but fair play to them they sorted it.