Forums Latest Members

Seiko fakes? Wrong clasp and tag? What's going on?

1. Al3xand3r Apr 11, 2021

Hi all, I recently got my Seiko Prospex Transocean SBDC039. I am very happy with this watch, I looks so good and I would not give it for a Submariner :D
    But I noticed a few things I am not happy about:
    Wrong Tag labeles SBDC033 - how common is it to get a wrong tag???
    The manual ist not for the 6r35 movement instead there are other movements listet.
    And maybe the most interesting thing: instead of the normal clasp with folding diver extension it has the mm300 ratchet clasp, are there even Transoceans with this clap?

I am pretty scared that it's a fake (although it looks perfectly genuine to me).
    I bought this watch used from a German private seller with a 100% rating and about 80 sells. The condition is weares (mostly noticeable on the clasp, case is 99%, crown, bezel and glass are 100% like new without any sign of wear), the bracelet has some slight nucroswirls and the left side of the case to (but really hardly noticeable, I think that happens usually during the first day of wearing :D).
    Normally I would think that someone changes the clasp because of desk diving marks to let the watch look unused, but why should someone change it to a more expensive and even scratched mm300 clasp??? 26624.jpg 26626.jpg 26625.jpg 26610.jpg 26622.jpg 26611.jpg 26628.jpg IMG_20210407_195454.jpg
    Here are a few Photos, tomorrow I will take more and better ones:
    Best regards from Austria

2. vitriol Apr 12, 2021

Early MM300's (like sbdx001) had no Diashield treatment, it was pure steel so they scratched just like any other watch, I guess your micro-adjustment clasp is genuine just it was dedicated for sbdx001.
    Mismatched tag and manual are human error of the previous owner probably.
    Your watch looks completely genuine to me, and Transocean (sadly) never became popular enought to be on target of the fakers.

Edited Apr 12, 2021
    Al3xand3r likes this.
  3. Al3xand3r Apr 12, 2021

Thank you! I was really scared yesterday :D
    For me the wrong Tag is not really a problem and if I want to I could easily obtain a manual that fits...
    I think I will switch the clasp to a original one (afaik the same as used in the kinetic tuna).
    One question: The caseback is a little bit scratched (obviously someone scratched it while opening it), I have no idea where to get one and neither do I know how I get the serial number in. The caseback just says "200m airdiver"...
    Best regards!

4. vitriol Apr 12, 2021

For a replacement parts you can try https://www.watchpartsplaza.com/us/ os simply ask your local Seiko service centre. I don't know what is Seiko policy for reserializing.

That is Ok, normal.
    Years ago Seiko divers case back were "scuba" but at some point in the time they have stopped it and now:
    - WR200 watches have "airdiver" case backs,
    - backs of WR300 and up watches say "he-gas/diver's and a respective WR" (or something like that, I don't remember such details)

Not sure do I understand that part about the serial number on your current scratched case back.. you meant there is no serial number?

5. Al3xand3r Apr 12, 2021

Thanks for that hint!
    I expressed myself badly, the serial on my case back is just fine, but I don't know how to get a new spare case back marked with the correct serial number...
    I already contacted Seiko about this case, hopefully they can also do such thing on watches that were just sold in Japan.
    Best regards