Seiko Barrel Arbor Jewels

Just finished jeweling the plates for my Pogue. Thought I'd post a couple of pics before I send it all off to the cleaning machine tomorrow.

And here is a close-up showing the dirt etc that needs to be cleaned off.

That's lovely stuff. I bought ten sets of jewels a few weeks ago, haven't used them yet although I have several 6139/6138 that are waiting for me to start! I know the bridge is a simple matter of pushing out the bushing and replacing with the jewel; did you use a lathe to ream the mainplate hole? I've seen Adrian (VTA) ream just using a Seitz press but I'm always a little sceptical about it being straight.

That's lovely stuff. I bought ten sets of jewels a few weeks ago, haven't used them yet although I have several 6139/6138 that are waiting for me to start! I know the bridge is a simple matter of pushing out the bushing and replacing with the jewel; did you use a lathe to ream the mainplate hole? I've seen Adrian (VTA) ream just using a Seitz press but I'm always a little sceptical about it being straight.
Adrian had some stump adapters made up to fit the Seitz press (see just above the smoothing broach). They fit the depression in the main plate and keep it centered on the stump so you can ream the arbor hole quite well. Then it's sized with a smoothing broach.

I've done about ten of these now and no problems at all.

I do this quite often - in the scenario that the bridge can just have a bushing pressed out and a jewel pressed in, that means you can use the bridge jewel as your locator since it is already centered. I've done many where I've turned a custom stump for the Seitz press in the lathe, to fit a bushing or jewel in the bridge. You mount the bridge on the plate, place the newly jewelled bridge on the custom made stump, and then ream the main plate out.

This means you are locating off the actual hole you need to be in line with...in my experience it works very well.

I have my little Pultra 10 lathe and a small centering scope so was planning to go down that route - but the motor for my lathe has borked and I need to buy a replacement for it and have been too busy to sort, hence not having started yet. Might just skip that and go straight into the Seitz.

Adrian had some stump adapters made up to fit the Seitz press (see just above the smoothing broach). They fit the depression in the main plate and keep it centered on the stump so you can ream the arbor hole quite well. Then it's sized with a smoothing broach.

I've done about ten of these now and no problems at all.
Just ordered a stump from Adrian, hope it gets to the UK in reasonable time. I used to interact lots with Adrian when we were both pretty active on another forum, he’s a good man.