Forums Latest Members

Seeking opinions on a vintage black-dial Constellation

1. slater529 May 24, 2018

Greetings! New member here, and I must say I'm enjoying the forum very much!

I have my eye on a vintage black-dial Constellation that's available locally, and I'm hoping to get some pointers on the condition, authenticity and perhaps value. The owner states that it's Caliber 561, 24 jewels, gold capped with box. Asking price is $1200. I'm attaching the photos provided;

00000_6MGC8EgIQRW_1200x900.jpg kloh.jpg Omega 5610.jpg

I'm concerned that (caliber) 561 isn't visible anywhere in the photo of the movement. Also, from what I've read here on the forum, the crown looks to be a replacement since it's not recessed.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tophership May 24, 2018

Novice opinion but that looks like a 561 or at least the 560 series based on the swan neck regulator. I’m not so sure on the crown but it doesn’t look what I usually see on those.

Also that dial looks a little too clean but honestly not a good enough shot for me to tell.

If I were you I would ask for some more to try and assess polishing and face condition as well as verify movement. If they are reputable they should be cool with it.

slater529 likes this.
  3. Dan S May 24, 2018

Well I'm no Constellation expert, but it certainly doesn't seem to pass the MOY test. And I don't see any lume on the dial to match the hands. On the other hand, the quality of the printing on the dial looks very good. I'm sure someone will give you a definitive opinion.

[Edit: I'm going back and forth whether there might be lume dots outside the markers. There are a lot of shadows and glare on the dial and it's hard to get a good look at some parts.]

Edited May 24, 2018
    slater529 likes this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 24, 2018

the pics aren't great but I think the lume is down the centre of the indices

the cal is just peeking out from under the rotor - you can't see what it is but it does have an 'adjusted 5 positions' bridge - you need to confirm this and the serial number

the case is soft, the crown is a replacement

the dial is a problem
    it does pass the MOY test but the text is not positioned correctly in relation to the cross-hair - which it should be

it may be the pics but the angle of the L in constellation to the cross-hair is odd - it should be parallel
    finally, I'm pretty sure the SWISS MADE should be below the minute ticks

you need sharp, straight on pics to make a proper assessment

slater529, connieseamaster and felsby like this.
  5. ConElPueblo May 25, 2018

Yep. Always causes confusion... The hands are correct, IMO.

One of the best redial tells.

6. slater529 May 25, 2018

Thanks to all who've commented so far! Given the issues (redial, non-original crown, and soft case) the $1200 asking price seems a bit high... In your opinion, what would be a reasonable offer on this piece?

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 25, 2018

that depends on what you are after

premium value = collectibility
    collectibility = originality+condition

the dial looks quite nicely done but this piece has neither originality nor condition -so it is a parts watch for most on this forum

value?
    if you are looking for a collectible it's worth $0
    if you are looking for parts it's worth a couple of hundred $s for the movement and hands
    if you are looking for a nice old watch that looks the part -then it is worth whatever you think a vintage fashion accessory is worth to you

Given the nice looking redial but taking into account the polished gold-cap case - then I'd say somewhere around $500 might be reasonable
    but I'd bet someone on eBay (who doesn't know any better or care less about collectibility) would happily pay $1000 for the watch

black dials are a mine field and good ones come up rarely -so expect to be patient if you want an original one (and be prepared to fight off dozens of competitors for it)

hope that helps

connieseamaster and slater529 like this.
  8. slater529 May 25, 2018

Thanks @Peemacgee... exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Cheers!

Peemacgee likes this.