Forums Latest Members

Seeking help to get information about a vintage Omega

1. padoc Mar 17, 2019

Greetings. I am respectfully seeking the forum's expertise to try to understand something about this watch. The history of it was that it had been an engagement gift from my mother to my father around 1956-1957. It went unworn and sat in a box for about the last 50 years.

All I can tell is that there is a 14K stamp on the back of the case and also inside the clasp of the bracelet.

I do not presume to understand anything about this watch other than where it came from. If anyone can share any possible information about what they think it might be, that would be very much appreciated.

Also, my apologies in advance if I have posted this question in the wrong location, or if it somehow conflicts with the rules of the forum.

Thank you

IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2133.JPG
  2. Vitezi Mar 17, 2019

Hi padoc, welcome to the forum! All of the information you need to identify your heirloom is contained on the inside caseback of the watch. You'll need to find a watchmaker in your area who can remove the caseback and provide you with the reference numbers. Those reference numbers will identify the exact model of your watch. The serial number on the movement will help identify the production year. Based on the style of the dial, the mid-1950s is about right.

At some point in time it seems that your watch was repainted (redialed), perhaps when it came in for service at some point in its past. This was commonly done, but it does alter the appearance of your watch as compared to when it left the factory.

If you intend to wear your watch, please have a watchmaker service it for you. All of the moving bits inside your watch need to be checked for wear and tear, and then lubricated and adjusted before it can provide you with the correct time. Once this is done, you'll have a nice vintage watch to wear.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. padoc Mar 17, 2019

Thank you for that information. I will find a jeweler who can service the watch and let me know the information located on the inner side of the case. Last question, I am guessing that the bracelet is aftermarket. Would that be correct?

4. mac_omega Mar 17, 2019

Your watch has a locally produced gold case (as indicated by the hallmarks on the rear side) and the bracelet is an aftermarket product (non Omega).
    Once serviced you have a nice heirloom and it can be enjoyed for many years to come.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 18, 2019

L & K stamped on the watch case stands for Lutringer & Kammerer, a case maker which was located in New York.

They produced cases for Omega/Norman Morris among many others.

Edited Mar 18, 2019
    JimInOz likes this.
  6. padoc Mar 10, 2021

This is a follow-up post for anyone who might read it, but mostly closure for myself. I brought the watch to a highly recommended watchmaker. Aside from the expected need for cleaning and lubrication he identified a tiny a crack in one of the bumpers, which I approved for him to replace. Since getting the watch back it has kept superb time. As it doesn’t hack I am basing this observation on the minute marker vs the atomic clock. It hasn’t even lost half a minute even after running continuously for a week, so I couldn’t ask for better results! Bottom line is that I couldn’t be happier, especially after it sat in my Dad’s drawer for 50 years!