Seeking help on SM300 165.024

Hi ladies and gents,

I would like to request some evaluation/originality assistance on a Seamaster 300 ref. 165.024 that has fallen into my lap as I am no expert on this reference. The story of the watch is unknown, however I know it was found in a safe in a decedent's estate. Seller is into brand new Rolex and does not know an awful lot about vintage pieces.

Please note the seller is apparently not capable of taking an in-focus image. I've asked a bunch of times without it getting better. I will see the watch in person tomorrow so hopefully I can take a few pictures of my own.

vAwiF8p.jpg
hQbumKr.jpg
TH83U4P.jpg
qChkZna.jpg
fg9J5Km.jpg
Y5N35fy.jpg

Some of my thoughts on the watch:
- The dial is in beautiful original condition
- The bezel appears to be a '66/67 type, also in gorgeous condition
- I am unsure if the sword hands are original to this watch. Additionally, the lume does not exactly match the dial is looks unstable.
- The crown appears to be screw down. I believe we have by now etablished that this cannot be original to the watch (assuming it originates from the '66/67 period)
- Original case and case back, looks to be in un-polished condition (but hard to judge with the images at hand)
- Bracelet not original to the watch. I have no clue what this bracelet is, so if you have thoughts on this, please share them
- Movement no. and caseback ref. is not yet identified, however I will open the watch tomorrow with Pahawi's tool

Overall, I personally find it very attractive and in what appears to be very good condition. Now to the tough question:
What is a 165.024 in this condition worth? It is being offered to be at $5.350 USD, would that be considered a good/fair/bad price?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

The watch could date to '69 or so and possibly be even more correct. It would be of help to have the serial number from the movement to further assist in establishing a production date.

Not an expert on these but bezel, screw down and sword hands all c/w 1967 or a bit later. If serial ok and movement looks ok I would grab it at that price.

The watch could date to '69 or so and possibly be even more correct. It would be of help to have the serial number from the movement to further assist in establishing a production date.

I agree. I will have to confirm the movement number tomorrow when I see it. However, the bezel is still from an earlier period (from what I’ve read). This could of course be explained by Omega still having it stock of the older bezel.

Not an expert on these but bezel, screw down and sword hands all c/w 1967 or a bit later. If serial ok and movement looks ok I would grab it at that price.

Thanks for the input!

/Soren

This will answers all your questions

https://www.omegaseamaster300.com/
Helped me plenty picking out mine.

Thank you. It is where I got most of my information. With the pictures at hand, using the valuation on the website, where would you place this piece?

While that well known collectors guide suggests that bezel as only used for 65/66 models, I’m not convinced one can conclude there was such a simple and clear transition between years.

I had a version that was imported into the US and had a 66 case back (marked with -66) and it had one of the earlier bezels. So I would t worry.

But I am no expert and maybe my watch had been messed with.

While that well known collectors guide suggests that bezel as only used for 65/66 models, I’m not convinced one can conclude there was such a simple and clear transition between years.

I had a version that was imported into the US and had a 66 case back (marked with -66) and it had one of the earlier bezels. So I would t worry.

But I am no expert and maybe my watch had been messed with.

Thank you for your input.

Generally, you are correct - they did indeed just use what they had laying around at the time, new or ‘old’ version of a component. This is especially true for this reference and the twin, 166.024, where so many different bezels, case back etc. were used in a fairly short time span.

I think you are correct for most of your assessments and it's good price IMHO, of course subject to serial and the ref inside the case back. Good luck!

Apparently the lume painted onto the hands and dial, and sometimes even different parts of the dial were each done by different departments at the factory, who used to mix their own tritium paint, with slightly differing quantities of ingredients each time, so the mismatch of colouring aftetr all this time may not always indicate they didn't leave the factory together, a youtube channel called Omega Enthusiast has some very interesting stuff, and pays fastidious attention to detail of vintage pieces, i'm not clear if this is a theory of his or whether he has confirmed it directly with Omega though, maybe if he is a member here he can clarify

As wrote previously, the watch is all correct. The price also is very good.
Is an attractive watch. Buy it or give me the contact of the seller 😀

As wrote previously, the watch is all correct. The price also is very good.
Is an attractive watch. Buy it or give me the contact of the seller 😀

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So in your opinion even the crown could be correct?

So, time for a quick update.

I saw the watch today. The bracelet and case back were removed revealing the beautiful 552 movement and a 25.6mil serial corresponding to a production date of 1967-68.

I must say, the watch is in absolute gorgeous condition. Therefore, I of course had to buy it at the mentioned price. I am happy man! 😀

When I have time for some good pictures, I will of course share them here.

More comments/thoughts towards originality and value would still be appreciated!

Congrats! Beautiful 300.

How accurate is your 552 movement? They can usually be regulated to run within a + or - a few seconds a day. An excellent movement, but without modern hacking capability. (Not even the Submariner of the 60s had hacking).

I suggest a Forstner 1450 all-brushed bracelet with milled clasp. I think the 1450 suits a vintage 300 better than a 1039 flat link bracelet with polished bling links or 1116 Speedy style.

forstner.jpg

Congrats! Beautiful 300.

How accurate is your 552 movement? They can usually be regulated to run within a + or - a few seconds a day. An excellent movement, but without modern hacking capability. (Not even the Submariner of the 60s had hacking).

I suggest a Forstner 1450 all-brushed bracelet with milled clasp. I think the 1450 suits a vintage 300 better than a 1039 flat link bracelet with polished bling links or 1116 Speedy style.

forstner.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion. I have actually thought about getting a Forstner for some time. However, I think I prefer the flat link, which corresponds to the 1039 that the 165.024 was born with. Note that I do also have an original 1039/516, but I wouldn’t use it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have actually thought about getting a Forstner for some time. However, I think I prefer the flat link, which corresponds to the 1039 that the 165.024 was born with. Note that I do also have an original 1039/516, but I wouldn’t use it.

I tried a flat link on the 300 and the polished links didn't gel well with the masculine and aggressive bezel. It just looked odd. The 1039 looks great on an elegant Speedy, but for me, the polished flat link doesn't really work on the 300. Omega basically reused the Speedy case and bracelet on the 300. So the 300 got a "hand me down" 1039 bracelet that was designed for a chronograph.

Congrats! Lovely watch. I have been through several bracelets on my Watchco and the US Holzer has ended up being the keeper

E6C58AF7-6D80-4F11-A032-C2924037E691.jpeg

IMG-2668.JPG IMG-2670.JPG Very nice watch. I can understand why you had to buy it! My 1969 SM300 with 1039 says hello!

Very nice and an excellent price.

Is yours a 165024 no period? or 165.024?

Mine, a 165024 with Olongapo Bracelet for a US Diver 1st Class(personalized)

While looking, look out for such a bracelet, very accurate for the era and comfortable.

Certificate pegs mine Jan 1967