Forums Latest Members

Seeking advice on vintage Sturmanskie

1. Strangedream Jan 3, 2020

Hi everyone,
    Since I got my Speedmaster Moonwatch I've been into collecting space watches. I'm too broke to afford a 321 Speedy right now, so I'm eyeballing a genuine Sturmanskie. After some initially research I found out that Gagarin most likely wore a Sturmanskie 17j (33mm) on his first space flight. Still according to my research, the 17j was produced from 1954 to early 1960's.

I found a "full set" Sturmanskie on the bay for US$850, however I have doubt about the legitimacy of the box and paper. The paper is dated from 1952 - 2 years prior the 17j - and the paper number doesn't match the movement number. The watch looks genuine on the other hand. So here are my questions:

1) Can you confirm this is not a full set, but rather a repackaged unit?
    2) This listing has been on eBay for couple months now, what price would you recommend for this (with/without box/paper)?
    3) Any other remarks/observations?

I'm new to vintage watches so thanks for your help!

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1601.jpg
    Edited Jan 3, 2020
  2. wagudc Jan 4, 2020

I have done research on this myself, but it seems there is a ton of fraken / fakes out there. I gave up on the search. I would be very skeptical. $850 is a lot for such a watch. I have a couple of Russian watches and the "expensive" ones are $75.

janice&fred and Strangedream like this.
  3. wagudc Jan 4, 2020

Check out this thread. Some folks there read Russian, perhaps some could weigh in on the paperwork.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/anyone-speaks-russian.94358/

4. krogerfoot Jan 4, 2020

WUS user mroatman has been an invaluable source of information for Russian watch enthusiasts. It's been a few years since I've communicated with him, but I've always found him to be a generously knowledgeable correspondent.

Strangedream and GordonL like this.
  5. GordonL Jan 4, 2020

The box and "passport " look genuine to me but they don't match the watch. The watch looks genuine but the crown is a later replacement. I don't think its worth the asking price.

janice&fred and Strangedream like this.
  6. Strangedream Jan 4, 2020

Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I suspected the paper must have been from a 15 jewel Sturmanskie. And now that you mention it, I can see how the crown looks much more recent than the case itself. I will pass then.

7. GordonL Jan 4, 2020

The box and papers could be for any of the watches made by the 1st Moscow Watch Factory in the early 50s. I'm pretty sure the sturmanskies originally had "onion" style crowns. When I'm at my computer later I'll post a pic of one for reference.

wagudc likes this.
  8. GordonL Jan 4, 2020

I did some research on Sturmanskies a few years ago and here's what I found. I see from these pics that I may have been wrong about the crown, but the one in your pic does look much newer than the rest of the case.
    info.jpg

15_left_17_right.jpg

15_left_17_right back.jpg

anti shock on 17.jpg

jewels.jpg

Edited Jan 4, 2020
    noelekal, NikolShep, Bille and 5 others like this.
  9. Strangedream Jan 5, 2020

That's one of the article I came across. Still a very good source of information nonetheless and thanks for sharing it here! From the picture the movement and the dial/hands seem correct at least.

By the way, did you get a Sturmanskie in the end? How was your experience with it?

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 5, 2020

Well expect these days to pay US $ 850.00 for a correct Strela "Arrow" chronograph...
    Here's a Sturmanskie recently offered at a "space auction" but it was a 15 jewel version whille Yuri Gagarin wore a 17 jewel version
    15_Sturmanskie.jpg

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 5, 2020

For what's worth... some Sturmanskie wristwatch slides from my spaceflight lecture...
    MWU_Sturmanskie.jpg

KingCrouchy likes this.
  12. wagudc Jan 5, 2020

This is true.

13. GordonL Jan 5, 2020

No I never did get a Sturmanskie. I have a couple of mid -1950s Pobedas which look like they use the same movement as the 15j Sturmanskies, and they are both fine.

14. w154 Jan 5, 2020

15. GordonL Jan 5, 2020

16. NikolShep Sep 27, 2020

Many thanks for the useful information, GordonL, especially the page with comparison of the two types. I was wondering if the description of type-2 was continuing on the second page of the document you attached. Could you, please, check that? Thanks!

17. Professor Sep 27, 2020

Apparently the movement used in the 15J Sturmankie is the Pobeda movement with an added hacking feature.
    IIRC Gagarin was given a 15J version while a cadet the 17J version, which he wore in space, was a later development.

I have four 15J civilian Pobedas three are very accurate. My NOS Soviet era example was accurate to within 2 seconds per week in a 28 day test run, so long as left dial up between windings.

GordonL likes this.
  18. GordonL Sep 29, 2020

I am sorry - here is page 2. I'm not sure why I didn't post this the first time!
    info_2.jpg

NikolShep likes this.