Forums Latest Members

Seeking advice on a pre-owned Omega XI 20th Anniversary 145.022 Speedmaster

1. Kevin Lee Sep 30, 2020

Hi there,

As I am looking to acquire this watch. I would like to get some advice on the authenticity of the Omega XI 20th Anniversary 145.022 Speedmaster, this watch was released in 1989. The watch comes with a 1450/808 bracelet, white omega box, special (wooden) box, manual, and a certificate in the form of a booklet signed off by Thomas P. Stafford. The bezel is a later original Omega replacement, which I am not sure if it is period correct.

Could someone shed some light on this? Or provide some pointers on what I should look out for?
    Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kevin

Untitled.png Untitled1.png Untitled2.png Untitled3.png
  2. Marsimaxam Sep 30, 2020

No images of the movement, caseback and side of case where it also might be numbered

There are three batches of the Speedmaster Pro Apollo XI from 1989. There were 2000 numbered pieces for the USA market. There were another run of 4000 pieces for the global market and another 250 for the German market only. There is one thing that makes these three batches different though, the description in the side of the case. A total run of 6250 pieces of which only 2250 were numbered.

The US version has a XXXX / 2000 Apollo XI 1969 inscription, where the German edition has the XXX / 250 Apollo XI 1969 – 1989 inscription. Then there are some differences in the inscription for the US version, where some only use XXXX / 2000, others use XXXX / 2000 Apollo XI and finally a number of them have the year of the Moon landing engraved as well.

From the photos you have provided, the watch appears authentic. The correct wooden box, patch and certificates. The bracelet and end pieces are correct as the watch came with either a bracelet or leather strap( German Market). The bracelets used were 1450(808) and 1479(812). The insert, as you suspected, is not correct for this particular reference. The word "tachymetre" should not have an accent above the letter "e".
    Source:https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-houston-tranquility-base-eagle-landed/

What you should look out for...
    1. Open the caseback and confirm the movement 861, movement #, and the caseback is ref 145.0022
    2. Back of caseback should be engraved ( see image)
    3. Unpolished case
    4. Even patina on dial
    Speedmaster20thAnn-4.jpg Speedmaster20thAnn-8.jpg

Kevin Lee and YY77 like this.
  3. Kevin Lee Sep 30, 2020

Hi Marsimaxam,

Greatly appreciate your comments and advice on how to authenticate the watch, in the correct period!
    After inquiring with the seller, this piece is part of the batch of 4,000 pieces.

Will keep a lookout for points 3. and 4. when I view the watch in-person.

That said, taking all things into consideration, with the watch being as is, and assuming the movement is the calibre 861 with the model reference number 145.0022. What would the expected price range be?

4. beerbelly Sep 30, 2020

Might want to check if the hands are replacement too.

5. Marsimaxam Sep 30, 2020

I’d just be guessing the price range and I’m hoping more knowledgeable members will offer their opinions. I find special editions have a broader range, but considering you have the correct box, papers, bracelet ( should also have a Velcro strap, I think) and hopefully everything but the insert is correct. I’d say 6750-8000 USD. You should be able to locate the correct insert.
    Price will also vary depending on private seller face to face or dealer in a shop and everything in between.

Kevin Lee likes this.
  6. Kevin Lee Oct 1, 2020

Will do, thanks man :)

7. Kevin Lee Oct 1, 2020

Understood. That price range seems reasonable, being a private seller. Thank you very much Marsimaxam! ;)