Forums Latest Members
  1. mozambique Aug 18, 2016

Musing on the subjective nature of vintage watch appreciation, specifically the question of patina. What one person sees as patina, another might view as unacceptable degradation. This preamble brings me to the watch below, a 165.014 that I have just acquired. Now that Speedmasters are getting way up there in price, I have been turning my eye to Seamaster divers. I was idly watching this one on ebay for a few weeks. Previously, dial lume condition has been my screening criterion when initially assessing a watch. Too discoloured, flaky or bubbly and I would pass. Initially I looked at this seamaster, inhaled sharply at the seaweedy lume and moved on.

Earlier this week I revisited it again. For some inexplicable reason, this time i took in the whole watch, not just the dial condition. What I saw this time was a dial that likely indicates the watch has seen some submersion time i.e. used for its intended purpose. The case looks pretty untouched, original bezel and it comes on a rare 1035 / #6 combo. Have no way of knowing if the watch left the dealer with the bracelet, but 1035's aren't that common, so possibly it did.

Curiosity raised I considered the price. $US 6k open to offers. Seeing as how its sitting on ~$2.5k of bracelet and end pieces, the price seemed reasonable (and i got it for less).

Getting back to the seaweed factor. Given my 180 degree change of heart, I am curious as to how other OF members would regard the patina? Honest answers only!.........you cannot offend, as I am quite happy with my purchase :)

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16007.jpg

s-l16005.jpg

s-l160011.jpg

Giff2577 and flame like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 18, 2016

No problem at all with the color of the lume, but the missing lume in the hands would be a deal breaker for me on an expensive watch (cheaper ones I would have filled).

3. dx009 Aug 18, 2016

That's a beautiful watch right there with all the good and the bad in it.

To me there are 2 types of watches with patina and/or damage:
    - watches that look good
    - watches that I run away from

This would be option #1. Especially in the case of vintage high quality (but not necessarily) watches patina and some form of damage here and there give the watch substance, character and personality. I love a watch with personality. :thumbsup:

flame likes this.
  4. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Aug 18, 2016

I don't mind green lume! image.png image.jpeg

5. flyingout Aug 18, 2016

Can we get back on topic please.

[​IMG]

mozambique and West Slope like this.
  6. mozambique Aug 18, 2016

I am salivating at both the pizza and mossy lumed dials (nice pair!)

Giff2577 likes this.