Forums Latest Members
  1. stephenB Sep 8, 2013

Hi Everyone,
    Military watch collector here, thought I might dip into the Omega world. Please could anyone offer an opinion on this one that I am thinking of buying. I am waiting for pictures of the back and inside, any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated. Apologies if it has been discussed before.
    Thanks Stephen.
    [​IMG]

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 8, 2013

I'm no expert on these but my initial observations from the reference material I have is that:

The bezel insert is missing.
    The lollipop second hand looks right for the watch but for the of hour & minute hands look to be later replacements that don't go with the lollipop.
    It is difficult to tell the originality of the dial from that photo, but I think it could be a redial when you look at the writing if you try to enlarge it.

3. stephenB Sep 8, 2013

Thanks Stewart, I have tried to find one to compare it with. Not sure when it dates from, would the bezel insert be plain or numbered?

4. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Sep 8, 2013

Hi, I'm interested to know, do you restore watches why you are considering a buying a vintage in this condition? On top of what esteemed member Stewart H has pointed out, I doubt the minute and hour hands go with that case reference. It would require considerable skill to bring that one back to life. Do you have a case reference etc for it?

5. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Sep 8, 2013

If the lolly pop second hand is from the original watch it is an earlier version of this one

[​IMG]

There a similar watch in the for sale section from one of our most esteemed members that you could just wear and not have to go through a significant restoration Here

6. cristos71 Sep 8, 2013

I don't think it is a redial. if you can find the correct hour/minute hands I think it would clean up quite well. That is of course depending on the rest of the condition/originality. Assuming that the lollipop is correct then It should be a ref.2913 and the hand set should be the same as the one on the left or the 2nd left.
    The bezel can be fixed for 250 euro and a (very) long wait. If the bracelet is period correct then it should be 7077/7912 with no.6 ends.
    These things will all have great impact on the value so need to be checked.
    Can you get more details?

202.JPG

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  7. stephenB Sep 8, 2013

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'm hoping to get some more info/images tomorrow. When possible I like to collect and restore "lived in" mil watches, I have a couple friends who work on them for me,. I have never purchased an Omega before but was drawn to this one. Is it possible to contact Omega with a serial number, as this can be done with Longines to establish dates etc.
    Cheers Stephen.

8. cristos71 Sep 8, 2013

Does it have military markings? I have not seen an early ref. Seamaster 300 2913 or for that matter 14755 (2nd from right in my picture) with military markings before.

9. flame Speedmaster Neil Sep 8, 2013

Hi

We really need to see the outer caseback & movement to be sure which version of the sm300 this actually is....I reckon the dial is good. The earliest 'military' relating sm300 I have seen was a 165.014 (but even that was purchased privately)....and as it appears to have the correct end pieces & semi-expandable bct then I'd imagine this was perhaps possibly bought by a Serviceman , but not issued.

You can request an 'Extract of Archives' direct from Omega based on Model & Movement Nos for £90 GBP.

Best - Neil

10. cristos71 Sep 8, 2013

Two of mine above are military related, the 2913 far left was delivered in 1960 to the US Air Force and the extract describes it as,"Military divers watch".

The 14755 2nd from right was delivered in 1963 to the US Marine 6th Fleet and is described on the extract simply as, "Divers watch"

Unfortunately neither of them have any official service markings.