Forums Latest Members
  1. Dpollisme May 3, 2018

Hello,

I have been gifted my father's Seamaster VXI in what I would say is in fair condition. It has the Olympic emblem in red, with the seal on the face and embsossed on the back. My father bought it while he was in Korean. He originally got a rolex, but decided it was too bulky, and traded it for the Omega.

It was his everyday watch for decades. Unfortunately the laquored face shows it. It's faded. The laquor in one of the rings had fallen out, and there is a trangular pice hanging on for dear life. He also disgarded every original accompanyment. Hind sight he should have gotten something more durable and less collectable.

I can't sell or trade it while he's still alive, but I also can't see wearing it given the condition.

Are there any services that can be trusted to restore without ruining? Is it better to wait for him to pass and maybe trade it with a collector who can appreciate it the way it is or watch trading site? What would its value be.

The movement is in excellent condition and each piece seems to be signed. The jeweler who opened the back offered me $1,000 for it without know much about its significants.

I would like the opinions of people more learned than me on this subject.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 3, 2018

Pictures, without them we can't help you.

3. Dpollisme May 3, 2018

Can provide tonight when I get home...

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 3, 2018

VXI?

5. Dpollisme May 3, 2018

Yeah, not my best title work, XVI, of course... What I get for typing on my phone after work...

blufinz52 likes this.
  6. Dpollisme May 3, 2018

Pictures as promised. There also seems to be what looks like a hair-line crack near the base of the crystal.

IMG_20180503_173938.jpg IMG_20180503_173721.jpg IMG_20180503_175003.jpg IMG_20180503_173633.jpg
  7. Vitezi May 3, 2018

Calling forum expert @mac_omega :) He has a box of these

Dpollisme likes this.
  8. mac_omega May 4, 2018

Well, the dial can be rescued...

It looks as if there were some more loose parts (round "filling" of the rings) - they can be secured cautiously with some glue.

I think that a skillful watchmaker can also fill the gap in the Olympic crest with white paint - this will not need the work of a dial restorer.

What makes me more worried is the poor condition of the case.

These 18K cases are very soft and they lose their nice chamfers just by wearing the watch on a regular basis.

The same is with the crest on the caseback.

The loss in definition of chamfers/bevels can not be restored without further loss of more material - the only way to restore the lines would be a professional lapping - but the watch will never look original again - lugs will be too narrow after the treatment, bezel too thin, etc.

The Olympic crest on the case back can not be restored.

The wrong crown can be replaced but original crowns are very hard to find.

Sorry for the bad news.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. Dpollisme May 4, 2018

Honestly it's better news than I expected. I realize there is nothing to be done about the case. Knowing that the dial doesn't need a full restore is great news. My challenge is locating a jeweler who can do the work.

Any recommendations?

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. mac_omega May 4, 2018

Let us know where you live and you will get good advice from a local member

11. Dpollisme May 4, 2018

Milwaukee, WI

12. mac_omega May 4, 2018

I am sure some helpfull member will chime in shortly.

I am sorry I can´t help because I live in Europe

13. Anj May 4, 2018

Do you like the watch or does it have intrinsic value to you? I wouldn't wear it often as a beater for example since it is 18k, very malleable and it is more of a collectible piece. Although, the case isn't as fair as you think - the lugs are in bad shape very soft and overly polished.

This is what the lugs with the correct crown would look like originally:

[​IMG]

Otherwise I think your best bet would be to sell it to someone here and let them worry about the restoration. Personally I'd love to acquire one of these and not touch the dial.

Edited May 4, 2018
  14. Dpollisme May 8, 2018

Thanks for your insight Anj. It's a funny thing, all my life I had my eye on the watch. I was very pleased my father gifted it to me before his passing. Now that I have it, understand its condition and its collector value, I don't think I'm the right owner for it... I don't want to wear it in it's current state for fear of further deteriorating it. I would rather have something more durable to pass on (Omega or Rolex), but I can't part with it now.

When the time comes, what would be the appropriate way of connecting with this community for a sale or trade.

15. Buck2466 May 8, 2018

Try Treiber & Straud Jewelers. They are an authorized Rolex dealer and have 2 watchmakers onsite and one is Omega trained according to their website. They have a reputation as some of the best watchmakers in the country from many sources. Not sure about the dial work though. I would take the watch to them and give explicit instructions on what needs to be done and also what you don't want done and let them tell you what they can do and what they will charge.

connieseamaster likes this.
  16. Dpollisme May 8, 2018

I will reach out to them, thanks!

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2018

I don’t think the dial is that bad. The natural lacquer on these does tend to crack and yellow. Collectors understand this and expect it on this model.

Here is a video showing how a XVI dial is properly restored.

These are the people you want to restore the dial if you decide to have it done.
    gatorcpa

bikehomero and Anj like this.
  18. Dpollisme May 15, 2018

I really don't understand the value of the watch. I am going to Treiber & Straud Jewelers the week after next (they are close to where I take my daughter for her self defense / fitness training, who knew?) in a week or two to see if they have the skill to restore the dial. My dilemma is do I restore to wear or trade for what I really want.

For reasons that are complicated, the sentimental value is not as high as it should be. Given that, do you think this this watch is equivalent in value to an aftermarket Rolex GMT Master or Master II? If I had it professionally restored, might it be equivalent or would that be too much of a gamble?

This would help me make an informed decision...

Edited May 15, 2018
  19. Vitezi May 15, 2018

I'll echo what @gatorcpa says above: I don’t think the dial is that bad. Collectors understand this and expect it on this model.
    If you think you'll trade the watch, leave it as is, unrestored. It is an uncommon watch so you'll need to target the vintage Omega collector market to achieve the maximum value. That market craves originality. As an alternative option to a trade, consider selling it through an auction house specializing in vintage watches.

20. dialstatic May 16, 2018

I realise not everyone is as emotionally connected to their watches as I am, and I don’t want to appear judgmental. But please be sure before selling/trading your father’s heirloom: this is a decision you very likely can’t take back.