Seamaster vs Constellation - your choice and why?

I've been looking at both models...mostly 50s and 60s...a few 70s...and I get the feeling that the Constellation is chronometer rated, and the Seamaster is not. Otherwise, very similar. The Seamaster came before the Constellation, so could the Constellation be considered an upgrade to the Seamaster? In the newer watches, it appears the Seamaster is becoming more a dive/sports watch...while I don't see any mention of the Constellation. And I may have missed it since I don't pay much attention to new watches.

Those are, of course, two different watches intended for two different consumers.

The Seamaster was designed as the rugged, water-resistant sports watch model, made for - as the advertising said - a Life of Action:
Ad_OmegaSeamaster_LifeMag1955.jpg
Omega-Seamaster-Olympics-5.jpg

On the other hand, the top-of-the line Constellation is a dress watch - An indispensable aide to men of affairs...a self-winding chronometer on your wrist:

ad_OmegaConstellationCalendar.jpg
omega%20constellation%2050s%20ad.jpg

Over the years the distinction between the two product lines has blurred - there are Seamaster chronometers, for example, and some Seamasters that look as dressy as Constellations. But Omega has kept the Constellation identity relatively consistent - they are always chronometers and are always dress watches.

Seamasters, obviously. Only because they are more plentiful. Several of the OF members own about 99% of all the good Constellations on the planet.

My question would now be, is the Seamaster actually more rugged than the Constellation. Both look equally robust to me. The cases look similar if not the same with the exception of the emblems on the case backs. The waterproofing looks the same. Seamaster is a more action oriented name, and Constellation is a more...more...white collar, I guess. Of course the 18k Constellations are in the $6k plus range, while the two tone plated and steel seem priced down with the Seamasters. I do like a 35 mm case...nothing smaller. I don't need another 18k watch, but I do want an Omega that has the waterproofing lacking in my 50s Jumbo snap backs.

You can research the specifications of various Constellation and Seamaster references yourself using the OVD. I think you will find that the original water resistance specs were fairly similar, with the exception of the divers.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/vintage-watches

Generally speaking, the answer to your question is to buy the watch that appeals to you more personally. Everyone has different taste.

Noticing more than one variation in how the word Seamaster is written on the dial. Is that by year?

Noticing more than one variation in how the word Seamaster is written on the dial. Is that by year?

Somewhat by year, but overlapping. There are dozens of threads on this topic. Try searching for "seamaster script".

now you have opened up a whole different topic for discussion.
ever noticed the different spelling of chronometer / chronometre on a Constellation dial?

The choice between Seamaster and Constellation is somewhat subjective.
The Seamaster has the greater heritage and sports the iconic Hippocampus, while the Constellation was Omega’s premier watch and sports the, err, iconic Observatory.

Both come in a range of case styles and movements and both have a number of dial variations.
So much so that asking Seamaster or Constellation is something of a nebula question and it defies a simple answer.

So, which one to choose?
Constellations, on the whole, command a higher price than Seamasters but as long as finances aren’t an issue, that shouldn’t be your governing guide.

Try to view as many variations of each type of watch that you can, then pick the watch that speaks to you most and research every detail about it to give you the confidence to buy a watch that you will be happy with.