Forums Latest Members

Seamaster vs Constellation- Worth paying extra for latter?

1. bh151182 Nov 13, 2014

Am in the process of researching for my first vintage Omega and have just fallen in love with it! Have narrowed it down to a 1960's Seamaster or Constellation and was wondering if it's worth paying the premium for a Constellation or just start out with Seamaster in good condition for half the price. Any advice welcomed!

2. Sherbie Nov 13, 2014

Welcome, we are a friendly bunch here, but i hope your wallet is prepared - this can be an addictive and expensive hobby !

In my opinion, yes, a nice Connie is worth the extra, but it all depends on what you want the watch for.

Forum members here go after originality - we dont like it if the dial, in particular, has been replaced or repainted.

Please ask us to vet your first purchase BEFORE you buy - if you search this forum, you will find dozens of "just purchased my first vintage - how did I do?" Type threads, and indeed, the watch turns out to be either

A) average at best, case highly polished
    B) heavily modified - altered - repainted dial, changed hands, crown etc
    C) a complete franken- watch or even a fake

There are a huge number of crooks out there, primed and eager to grab your money, so pls beware

But, best advice, is to do nothing for 1 month - just read these forum pages, scan watch pictures, and build up a small list of what you admire. Also check out and search Desmond,s excellent website at omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com for more Connie information than one could possibly digest - a truly amazing resource

Most of all, try watches on before you buy - vintage watches are generally much smaller than the average monster watches of today, and wrist shapes do differ dramatically - to your dismay, you may find that you dream watch may not suit you wrist!

Best of luck, cheers, paul

adibou and Mothra like this.
  3. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 13, 2014

I started with Seamaster with same thought process as yours... But now i am more biased towards Constellations.
    Given a second chance i would love to add more connies.
    Current models i would pick Seamaster ... Antiques i would pick Connies...

4. bh151182 Nov 13, 2014

Excellent thanks Paul. The size is a slight concern. I'm 6'6 and 100kg's so I might suit a brash James Bond Seamaster over a vintage one but still can't see that putting me off! I've spotted a nice looking 1955 Seamaster bumper in what looks a reputable antique watch shop (http://www.kelvedonclocks.co.uk/) with the owner a MBHI. In theory shouldn't be able to go that far wrong? The watch doesn't look like it's been refinished but also looks to be in fairly good nick in general and comes with a 12 month guarantee.

Have had a look at Desmond's site- might get expensive if that's the normal progression!!

5. bh151182 Nov 13, 2014

Of all the Vintage Omega's which ones are the chunkiest and hence likely to suit someone of my size? As you say size is the one thing you can't really gauge when shopping online.

6. ulackfocus Nov 13, 2014

If you want a larger watch, look at the late 60's and 70's Seamasters. They're much wider diameters than their 50's and early to mid 60's counterparts.

7. bh151182 Nov 13, 2014

Excellent cheers. Would I be being harsh in saying the late 60's and 70's Seamasters are too much dial and not enough case? Quite like the chunky/robust case look as opposed to the elegant look if that makes sense!

8. TNTwatch Nov 13, 2014

Vintage Seamaster's equivalence to Constellation is the Chronometer line, but there are fewer of them on the market especially in a good condition. The ones in late 60s and 70s are in the lower price range and available in larger sizes around 37-40mm like 168.023/168.028 and 168.034/168.035. There are just a few Constellations in big size around 37mm only.

9. davidswiss Nov 13, 2014

I don't know the price difference between a 60's seamaster chronometer and a constellation from the same period but would have thought the former is a rarer bird and maybe even cheaper for a nice one. The standard seamasters are cheaper, have good movements and there are plenty out there. I suggest you bring them here for appraisal before paying hard cash, there's a lot of good advice available.
    My own preference are constellations from this period.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 13, 2014

That's very true. Sad thing happened to modern day Connie.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 13, 2014

How about the best of both worlds?

Seamaster Chronometer with a cal. 564 movement, same as a contemporary Constellation?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gatorcpa

Edited Nov 13, 2014
    Tritium likes this.
  12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 13, 2014

My brain is with the seamaster but my heart with the constellation.

13. JM251 Nov 13, 2014

I'm with you Mike but then I'd swap plenty o constellation for this

$_57.JPG
  14. Hijak Nov 14, 2014

Just a note on pricing...you can certainly spend more on a vintage Seamaster than on a vintage connie, even if the Seamaster is not a chronometer.

As an example in the last year paid much less for this...
    Wrist Shot, 4.JPG
    than this...
    Wrist Shot, 1.JPG

Just an FYI...there are several variables to be taken into consideration here such as condition, how common it is, ect.

JM251 likes this.
  15. TNTwatch Nov 14, 2014

So was it you? Did you do it for this one?

16. JM251 Nov 14, 2014

Sadly no :(