Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Professional Service Issues

1. brynboy60 Dec 2, 2016

Hi, anyone had any problems with Omega's UK service centre?

Due to damaging the threads on the crown, I had my 9yr old watch serviced, a number of parts were replaced, totalling £350 in charges and taking 5 weeks. During the first 48hrs of wearing, it gained 12 minutes. Deeply apologetic, Omega asked for the watch back.

Two weeks later, I wore the watch and it gained 16 minutes in 24hrs! Omega quizzed me about how I wore the watch and whether I got it near any magnets etc. I've used this watch every day in exactly the same way and it's always kept good time.

They currently have it again and I'm told it needs a new escapement. Where was the quality checking before it was returned a second time? This time it will take about 3 weeks. I'm not impressed with the amount of time this is taking and the amount of money I've spent on what is supposed to be a premium brand servicing.

Has anyone else had similar issues and any advice on my rights re compensation here please?

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 2, 2016

Simple. You aren't entitled to any IMO. It is a pain to be sure but not every service will be perfect every time. You have been unlucky that it has needed to go back twice but it is not unheard of for watches to need to go back. Even STS who have a better reputation than OSC in some circles aren't infallible. I have had to return 2 or 3 watches for correction, in one notable case it took them 3 goes to regulate a Speedmaster but I took it on the chin as these things happen.

Does the watch get near magnets? It was a sensible question if magnetisation is the cause of the issues.

tyrantlizardrex and Spacefruit like this.
  3. brynboy60 Dec 2, 2016

Thanks for the prompt response. No, the watch doesn't go near any magnets and has been worn daily in exactly the same way since I bought it.

As you say, I'll just have to accept that this is bad luck and hope it's sorted when I get it back.

4. Poppydog Dec 2, 2016

The only issues I've had regarding servicing has been to do with case re-finishing which hasn't been great when compared to other brands. I did have a PO stop after diving once and the AD was great and did a straight swap, but then that was the AD customer service.

5. shoota70 Dec 2, 2016

I don't understand why people send watches back to the manufacturer for service. Seems way more then not, it ends up messed up.

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 2, 2016

You wont have a choice fairly soon if Swatch Group get their way as the indies can't get the parts anymore. Rolex also are pretty controlling, independents have to charge same as RSC meaning their appeal is limited. At least wth Omega you have the option of STS, who incidentally have branched out into Cartier servicing too,

Edited Dec 2, 2016
    shoota70 likes this.
  7. korenje Dec 2, 2016

because it was out of warranty, maybe you asked them specifically to repair only the thread (because of the costs)? or did you request a full service? if the watch is in warranty, they'll obviously fix everything that needs to be fixes, not sure if it's not in warranty.

8. cwindham Dec 2, 2016

WHY do you send it to OMEGA in the first place, a competent watchmaker will handle the service in no time. COMPETENT is the key word here. Ive had my share of INCOMPETENT watchmakers.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 2, 2016

Not true at all - plenty of independent watchmakers, myself included, have parts accounts with Omega and have full access to Omega parts. The people who never had direct access and relied on 3rd party resellers are SOL and would have to rely on the open market as they always have done, but an open market with a much smaller supply.

Being 9 years old, and having a stripped case tube, Omega would insist on a full service, which is completely prudent given the age of the watch and mode of failure.

Can't say for sure why the watch failed, but magnetism would give the sort of timing issues you have noted here. Note that you don't need to go near magnets, just magnetic fields. They are more prevalent that at any time in history, so there may be a source that you are not aware of that you have come into contact with. Proximity is everything with regards to field strength.

Hopefully they get it sorted.

Cheers, Al

10. SamQue Dec 2, 2016

Had the same problem with a Ulysse Nardin about five years ago. Made two trips to their service center in Florida. Since then it has run flawlessly. However now it's time to send my other UN in. I will do so without hesitation. As to my Omega watches, I haven't had to send one in for repairs yet. I have two or three that are well overdue.

It is good to know that they sometime need to be attended to a couple times until they are right and this isn't a problem you just encountered.

Screwbacks likes this.
  11. brynboy60 Dec 3, 2016

12. jaguar11 Dec 4, 2016

In had to send my Speedy back after service. The hour hand went "free" after a couple of hours wear. Sent back and sorted. A bit of a pain but these things happen. Strangely enough I had a Tudor Submariner serviced at Kings Hill and the crown pulled out as soon as I tried to set the time!!!! Real run of bad luck. I got it back eventually having had another full service. As I said it does happen but in the overall scheme of things it could have been worse.