Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean luminous pip fell off

In 2007 I bought a gently used Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean from Jared and have enjoyed wearing it nearly every day since. The watch has been worn a few times into the ocean and pool while on vacation but always rinsed off afterward. I do not wear it into the shower.

I had the watch serviced about four months ago and was without it for about six weeks. Aside from general cleaning/oiling, the mainspring, reversing wheel, and second wheel were replaced. Approximately two weeks after getting it back, the luminous pip on the number 8 fell off. I notified the company and had to send it back under my repair warranty. The pip was reattached and I was without it for about a month this time. Now the pip for the number 6 has fallen off! When I contacted the company again, I was told the only cause for this was moisture inside the case (I've never seen any condensation inside the case). The owner straight up stated the pips falling off were not his fault and the problem would likely continue. He stated he was willing to work with me on fixing the problem but stated it was entirely possible I would need a new watch face.

I feel his company created the problem because I never had any issues with the watch prior to him servicing it. Fifteen years of near-daily wear with no problems then he works on the watch and two pips fall off? In my book, there's no way that's a "coincidence." IMG_6083.jpg

Thoughts on proceeding? Should I have his company reattach the number 6 pip and wait to see if it happens again? Or do I believe him that the problem will eventually happen again and pay him to replace the face?

The explanation that some sort of moisture got into the watch and compromised the dial is plausible in my opinion. It sounds like you went nearly 13 years for your first service, so it is entirely likely the watch was not water resistant due to aged gaskets. Even if you never noticed moisture inside and never took it swimming, water could have gotten in.

Since a second marker fell off, I would just have to watchmaker put on a new dial, because it’s likely to happen again. You’ll have to pay for the part, of course, because I don’t think you can prove this is a fault caused by the watchmaker.

It seems like a pretty big coincidence, but could also just be a coincidence. If it were my watch, I'd work on getting a new dial. I'd hope for a bit of a discount on getting it swapped by the watchmaker but I also wouldn't hold my breath.

Out of curiosity, did they send back the parts they took out when they serviced your watch? Maybe there was signs of moisture damage on the movement too.

GL, I'm 100% sure I'd be frustrated if this was happening too.

Does anyone know a ballpark I can expect to pay for a new face? Repair guy did not know off the top of his head but suggested it could be around $600?

Does anyone can tell me if dial flaws like this in my 45.5 is normal? From 8 to 12 there are slightly missaligned asimmetrycal hour and minute markers...the watch is 100% authentic and once been serviced at the local AD, but they told me it happens and that it is normal and surprisingly these watches were very demanding from second hand colectors like error watches...let me get your opinion thank you!!!

Those just look like reflections to me...