Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500 - is this legit?

1. Wald May 30, 2018

Hi all.
    I'm a longstanding Omega fan - have had a Speedy for almost 20 yrs, and it just got stolen recently. I'm now looking to replace with a Planet Ocean 1st gen (2201.50.00), and close to buying it through a dealer, but see from these posts that the 1st Gen (made 2009) PO's are very well copied.

Its made in 2009. It comes with box and warranty cards which all looks fine, but when I compare the back of the case vs other photos online there is NO small circular imprint (I suppose its a Planet earth) on the casing (please see a photo attached of what I am referring to - mine one does NOT have this).
    There is also no 3 digit number engraved in the watch band where it meets the case.
    I called the local Omega Service center who tell me this serial number was serviced by them in Oct 2016.

Is this legit? I also attach a photo of the front (sorry didn't take the back) on the tray with some other Tag's.

Appreciate the Forums's expert views please.
    Perhaps pic10.jpg IMG_3060.JPG the "Planet Earth" and band engraving come in later models?

2. Huus Jun 1, 2018

The "Planet Earth" engraving you are referring to is the is the Omega anti counterfeit globe and introduced around 2006 or 2007. Your watch may have been manufactured before the globe was introduced and first sold in 2009.
    I can't comment on the missing numbers on the bracelet as I have my 2201.50 on rubber and the bracelet stored so well I can't find it for comparison.
    The PO on the picture looks like the real deal to me from that angle but some more pics may be help full.
    If the watch was serviced by Omega in Oct '16 there has to be an invoice as the warranty is valid for 2 years.
    How good a name has the dealer you're buying from? If it is an Omega AD you're safe. An on line dealer check out any feedback first or ask around if he is well known.
    Hope this all helps and good luck with the watch. The 2201 is a great piece of gear.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Seaman Jun 3, 2018

The watch looks legit from the outside but to be sure you have to open it. From the red dot spot on the back case which Omega place it, you can understand that it wasn't open yet after the service?. At least from my knowledge. Or the red dot means that never been opened for service? Maybe other members from here know better the reason of small red dot.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2018

First thing is - the red dot is on a watch that is not the OP's. It's a PO Chronograph so a completely different model. The red dot itself was applied to the case when the watch was made, and after service they used to put a blue dot on the case. However both dots were discontinued a few years ago due to the ease of copying it (it was just red/blue model paint).

The OP PM'd me several days ago asking for advice, and I told him the one photo he has provided of the watch isn't really good enough to make any firm determination about the watch - they don't seem too interested in posting any other photos...

Seaman likes this.
  5. cvera Jun 9, 2018

Some more photos would be useful. Have the dealer take off the case back if possible and take a picture of that.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 9, 2018

Yes early 2500’s had a more plain back.

And as said that picture is not conclusive. But the bezel does not look like high quality fake bezels, which is the first thing I look at on these.

That being said if you have run the serial I would assume it’s legit.

These only have an upside with that dial. These are going to go up in 42mm.

tikkathree likes this.