Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 3, 2013

2. ulackfocus Sep 3, 2013

Redial for sure.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2013

Most definitely refinished dial , polished scratched up case.

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 3, 2013

That's a shame, legit but redialed and polished. :-(

5. John R Smith Sep 3, 2013

An estate sale, often ones to avoid. It's a pity, because this is (I won't say "rare") a scarce piece and very desirable with this dial and the date at six. But notice that as usual it says 'serviced', but if it is then by a complete a***hole because as you can see the regulator is maxed out to full retard. So something is wrong there, as well as with the re-dial.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 3, 2013

Can't really judge the servicing by the position of the regulator as you describe - I know a few watchmakers who don't use that at all to regulate a watch. I think it should have been centered to make it look good but I think it's a bit much to condemn his work just because of this one piece of evidence.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2013

This is the second non-stepped 2757 SMPP that's had a shocking redial, one was posted here many months ago. One small point to make though, the hands are long ;)

8. John R Smith Sep 3, 2013

I know that the watch can be correctly set by the main regulator rather than the swan-neck. But this example is still really bad practice, because it makes it difficult to fine-tune the timekeeping in the future, as you can only go one way (advance) on the swan-neck. No worthwhile watchmaker would set it up like this. It is not just that centring the swan-neck makes it look good, it enables harmless eccentrics like me to have loads of fun regulating the watch in everyday use . . . ;)

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 3, 2013

It is correct for the new minute track :)

10. John R Smith Sep 3, 2013

What I just don't understand is how anyone could take a watch of this value, and then have it re-dialled so appallingly badly ::confused2::

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 3, 2013

Sadly, most people don't know any better. :(

John R Smith likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Sep 3, 2013

Where's that t-shirt when you need it? :p

13. jonardi Sep 6, 2013

Hello everyone chatting about this cal.355/2757 SM. I bought it yesterday. I was unaware it was being chatted about here but I formed the view that within a price range it was worth buying and rescuing. I had noted all the dial's deficits you speak of, including the chapter ring erroneously around the outside, but I believe it can be re-dialed to near original specifications and largely restored to its original character and I am confident my watchmaker will rescue the movement from its current regulation issues. I have a spare set of shorter appropriate hands ready for it to. My firm view is that it is sufficiently rare, or should I say scarce, to justify a rescue bid and I am prepared to give it a go. It may take a little time, but I hope to let you all review it in time in its "rescued" state. Doesn't it deserve a chance? I am a collector, not a trader, so I plan to have it a long while and its the first I have seen in years. Journey through Time describes this caliber and case back as very rare, so I think its worth the effort.
    cheers everyone.

citizenrich likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

I wouldn't put the short hands on it, keep the long ones, thats probably what it came with. Welcome BTW

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

The case reference and movement are fairly common - it is the dial that makes it "rare." Even expertly refinished the watch won't command anywhere close to the value of the same watch with the original dial - such is the fate of watches like these where probably 75% of the value lies with the dial being original, in nice shape and not refinished.

And while it is not easy to find - ask dsio - he found 3 of the 4 gold piepan seamaster calendar variants in the past 1-2 years or so all of them with original dials and in nice shape.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

Well I found four of the four, its just that one of them is on permanent vacation in the Northern hemisphere ;)

17. jonardi Sep 6, 2013

Hi Ash,
    Thanks for the welcome. My first ever post. Journey through Time (JTT) has a deluxe dialled one of these depicted at page 279, item 8104 that has short hands and minute markings on the 12 borders of the pie pan. (same case back and caliber) Also a fellow collector has sent me some pics of one he has with an original dial exactly the same as mine (ie:not the deluxe version with edge fluting) and it has minute markings and short hands identical to the JTT image. I am interested in why you think I should retain the longer hands in the context that it is a PP dial. Do you think the minute chapter ring is wrong? I welcome advice as I want to do the best I can by this watch.
    cheers, Jonardi

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

Oh, I forgot about that fourth one...

And LouS quoting Ben Franklin in another thread bears repeating here:
    "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

John R Smith likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

All Piepans should have short hands, that said, so far all SMPPs with date at six that have been found in the wild have been fitted with long hands. Its technically wrong for a PP dial, but on a SMPP its correct, there's just too much evidence to support it. The one in AJTT has been messed with, it has a Constellation crown which is completely wrong, and I believe they put the short hands on it at the same time.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

Dennis's 2757 = long hands
    My 2627 = long hands
    The first redialed 2757 = long hands
    The recently turned up Mexican 2627 = long hands
    Your 2757 = long hands

The only two with short hands are the 2757 I have from Dennis (he had the short hands installed but I still have the long ones) and the one in AJTT which has been fiddled with.