Forums Latest Members

Seamaster parts: what fits a cal. 865 in a 145.007?

1. G865 Aug 19, 2016

Photos to follow I promise! But just now I'd like some advice on parts for a Seamaster

Situation is that I have my fathers Seamaster cal. 865 sitting almost snugly(†) in a 145.007 case. I have been patiently keeping an eye out for some parts (for someone qualified) to restore it to its former glory. I was recently very lucky to obtain a NOS dial. All good.

Recently an eBay seller has been advertising NOS hands for similar but not exactly the same movements and cases. I am certain this is not a new question buuuut... is it possible to tell whether these will fit? In other words is there some extraordinarily useful parts list somewhere that shows equivalents or is every movement and case 'bespoke'? Perhaps there are gurus that just know these things :)?

Specifically I would like to know whether hands for a 146.009/010 will fit my .007 or whether hands for the 145.014 will fit. And finally(!) whether a pusher for a 145.009 will fit the case. All advice very gratefully received.

† On the topic of the movement in the case, I've recently purchased a pack of 5 movement clips of which I need two and am very happy to pass on the remainder at cost plus a smidge for postage. When they arrive I will broadcast this. Later in time I'd love to know who to send this rather treasured piece to for a full service and TLC but first things first.

Many thanks, G

2. rogart ray it again, Ram. Aug 20, 2016

Google Omega 865 movement and you should find the size for the hands? They are the same for every 865 movement. Just measure their length and find out if they fit your dial? Then you decide if they look will okay? Personally i would go for the right hands for the watch.
    Check the movement? If the same they will fit.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_865

G865 likes this.
  3. G865 Aug 22, 2016

Hello Rogart,

Thanks for the pointers, that's been very useful. Herr... sorry Dr. Ranfft is a mine of useful information. Here's the situation according to him...

145.007 is the cal. 865 Seamaster chronostop I'm 'restoring' and Ranfft suggests that the hands are 1.90 x 1.05 x 0.22mm 21mm movement
    146.009 / 10 are the Geneve and Geneve Driver versions of the chronostop and Ranfft suggests that the hands are 1.90 x 1.05 x 0.22mm 21mm movement
    145.014 is the Speedmaster cal. 861 which in some versions had picture perfect identical hands to the above two

So in short, it looks as if the hands are equivalent, they fit, and they appear absolutely identical. So I'll go for it! That is unless anyone can offer a note of caution.

Here's a 'before' photo of the face as my Wild M3 sees it... the luminous paint has largely died, the hands discoloured, the face blotched and the genuine omega crystal somewhat badly scratched. Apart from that she's ticking nicely!

The next question is... who would you entrust your Omega to in either the UK or Europe?

[​IMG]

IMG_3866.JPG
    rogart likes this.
  4. rogart ray it again, Ram. Aug 23, 2016

I kind of like the look of the hands and dial. There could acctually be some difference with the hands?
    If you are going to send it to Omega? I am sure they have the right hands?
    I wonder what is it you are going to do with the watch? Are you just changing the hands. Or both the hands and the dial? http://www.ofrei.com/omega-watch-hands-caliber-321-861.html
    If you look at this page there are two black/white hands . But the HAN-2385 is 12 mm long.Fits the 865 movement. The HAN-4398 is 11,75 mm long.

5. rogart ray it again, Ram. Aug 23, 2016

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2016

Hand from any Speedmaster Pro will fit - the hour wheel and cannon pinion on the 865 are the same parts used in the 861. The chronograph runner is specific to the 865, but uses the same diameter where the hands mount.

Proper set of hour/minute hands for 1450007 is 065PP0865LG1200, and the chronograph hand is 066TP0865LG1350.

Cheers, Al