Forums Latest Members
  1. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

Hi, this is my first post here but I am along time lurker and really admire the depth of knowledge on this forum. I have recently become interested in vintage Omega watches and bought a Seamaster locally a while ago because I really like its looks. It came from the family of an insurance salesman who was given the watch for 40yrs of service in 1967. I have tried to find this watch in the OVD but came up blank so am hoping someone may be able to shed some light and tell me weather it's original or not.

When using a loupe the dial has age spots all over it including around the script but I'm not certain that the script is correct for this model.
    The movement is a 552 that runs like a dream at around + 4 sec per day and has a 20 million serial no.
    The case no. on the case back is 165.009. It has no Hippocamp on the back and is completely covered with engraving. I do not know if it should have the Hippocamp or not but think it probably should have given the year of the movement.
    It has a signed crystal and crown but the original buckle is long gone. I think it is gold capped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope the pics are clear enough. I don't have expensive camera gear sorry. The watch runs sweet but the power reserve is not great so I am wondering if this means it needs a service? Thanks for your time and any advise or comments will be appreciated.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 14, 2013

Welcome!

There are MANY watches not listed in the database, probably more missing than actually in it.

Your watch looks quite correct and appears to be in nice condition, although the dial may have been refinished. It looks like the 3 o'clock figure has been replaced.

Omega at one time was one of the largest suppliers of presentation watches and made cases with plain backs specifically for this purpose.

You say the power reserve is not great, what kind of run time are you getting on a full wind (40+ full turns of the crown)? These are not meant to actually wind the mainspring with the auto-wind, just to keep a wound watch topped up.

A full service is likely in order regardless.

3. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

Hi X350, Thanks so much for the welcome and the information. To be honest I've never given it a good wind up because I was unsure how many times I could wind it and was afraid to damage it so that explains the poor reserve. I am lucky to have a retired Omega watch repairer down the road so will take it to him to service

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 14, 2013

The auto-wind has a clutch built in so the mainspring will slip once its reached its maximum capacity, in other words these can't be "over-wound".

5. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

I just gave it a full wind. I've been wearing it all day today and it took 35 winds before I noticed resistance so I'll time it and see how it lasts.

In regards to the 3 o'clock indice, under a loupe it has the same age patterns/marks as the others. I noticed it looks square in the pics I posted but does have the same beveled edge as the rest. I'll try and take a better pic tomorrow in the daytime

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

By the way, it's good to see your choice of watches is as good as your taste in music :whistling:

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

Any chance the reference number is actually 165.003 ? Don't worry about the 18k gold, as these watches were often made in other materials than watch is listed.
    Seamaster

Gents' leather strap

Dimensions: Ø34 mm
    Reference
    BA 165.0003
    International collection
    1962 - 1969
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 552
    Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Case
    18K solid yellow gold
    Case back
    Screw-in
    Dial
    With gold "Dauphine" hands and hand-rivetted gold hour markers
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters
    [​IMG]

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

The OVD has less information than the old version had - the previous version had a notes section at the end that showed important information including case size. Also it is incomplete - in my experience I would say 10-20% of swiss cased models are not there. And take the case metal information with a grain of salt - many of the dress watch models particularly the connies came in a variety of case metal configurations. Also the OVD contains little information on non-swiss cased omegas.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

Jules Borel now uses a different parts interface that no longer cross references the caliber to case reference number. Makes authenitfication a bit more difficult.

THe OP's watch looks correct and right to me,
    gatorcpa

10. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

Aahhh the anthems of a miss-spent youth. I wondered how long it would take to be outed :)

11. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

I wondered the same thing myself a while ago but I have looked at the case back through a loupe and it is definitely a 165.009

Thanks

CS

12. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

This one comes from the Australasian market, NZ/Australia so this could be one of the 10-20% you speak of.

Thanks for the comments. I guess all newbies like me would like to think they got lucky with their first vintage purchase and managed to obtain an original watch but I am not silly enough to rule out the possibility that mine is not. It is 50yrs old after all. I bought this because I like the simplicity and it was what I thought was a good price. The dial looks original to me but I have wondered weather or not it should have the "coat hanger S" because I have been unable to work out when the newer script like mine began to be used and on what models

Thanks

CS

[​IMG]

13. ulackfocus Mar 14, 2013

If that's a late 60's model (can't read the serial number off your movement) it has the correct wider S. The coathanger style was gone by the early 60's.

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

Given the typical age demographic around here, you shouldn't expect it to take too long :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363297714.292447.jpg

15. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

The number is in the late 20 millions which is 1963-1964?

Thanks

CS

16. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Mar 14, 2013

Now that is most excellent Sir!! :thumbsup: Did we meet in a garage in Cannoga Park some time in the 70s?

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

Probably not. I would have been at school on a different continent around then :p

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 14, 2013

Great Googley Moogley
    Central scrutinizer:
    This is the central scrutinizer.........
    Naturally, we were easy on him.
    One of our friendly counselors gave him
    A do-nut...and told him to
    Stick closer to church-oriented social activities.

19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 14, 2013

I'm not nuts, That's a Zappa lyric

20. ulackfocus Mar 14, 2013

We know what it is.

..... and if you're a regular here, you ARE nuts in some small fashion. What normal person owns this many watches?