Seamaster Heritage 75th Summer Blue

Some more images from this morning with the sun just up and coming through the blinds in my great room. Nice natural light with that early morning kinda light gray feel. Nice "stone" look to the dial at some angles.

30504310432056.jpeg 30504310525541.jpeg 20230823_080633.jpg

The ceramic makes this watch

The lume shots are just gorgeous on both the black and the summer blue. I like the lume filled markers on the black, are the markers on the summer blue lume filled as well?

This tread has changed my mind of this series of watches, I used to miss the lyre lugs and I didnt really like the steel ring on the bezel. I see past that now.

Omega went back to a ceramic bezel on the summer blue and the markers are not filled with superluminova. Me personally? I prefer this and I would take the ceramic bezel over the aluminum one any day, but I recognize that's going to be an issue of personal preference.

All things being equal, I would prefer a ceramic bezel insert to aluminum for its increased durability. That being said, it's my understanding that Omega chose an aluminum insert for the "standard" 300 Heritage model because it is more in keeping with the vintage character of the watch. It's also my understanding that the aluminum insert has a special coating which makes it substantially more durable and scratch resistant than a standard aluminum bezel, but still considerably less so than ceramic. I've had my 300 since earlier this summer and the bezel has taken a few hits with no damage so far. I actually really like the fact that the bezel is lumed. Not that I'm timing anything in the middle of the night, but if I were, it would be a nice feature. As shown in my photo above, the overall lume on the watch is just outstanding and, once charged, it lasts through the night.

All things being equal, I would prefer a ceramic bezel insert to aluminum for its increased durability. That being said, it's my understanding that Omega chose an aluminum insert for the "standard" 300 Heritage model because it is more in keeping with the vintage character of the watch. It's also my understanding that the aluminum insert has a special coating which makes it substantially more durable and scratch resistant than a standard aluminum bezel, but still considerably less so than ceramic. I've had my 300 since earlier this summer and the bezel has taken a few hits with no damage so far. I actually really like the fact that the bezel is lumed. Not that I'm timing anything in the middle of the night, but if I were, it would be a nice feature. As shown in my photo above, the overall lume on the watch is just outstanding and, once charged, it lasts through the night.

From what I understand Omega originally wanted a thinner bezel in the first generation watches but they also wanted to stick with ceramic. Unfortunately, the thinner profile ceramic meant that it was much more susceptible to cracking during their stress test process, so they wound up with a larger bezel than they originally wanted. I don't know where but I remember reading a thread or article about this because the trilogy Seamaster was originally intended to have an updated ceramic bezel but the bezel profile is much too thin for Omega to get the durability they wanted from ceramic.

I don't have a Gen 2 on hand to compare my summer Blue to but the bezel is definitely slightly smaller than my gen 1 bezel. I don't know if they resolved the issue or made a design change here, but there is no doubt that ceramic is going to play with light differently than aluminum.

The resulting difference in appearance is going to come down to subjectivity obviously, even disregarding durability. And I'm sure that the anodized aluminum is pretty durable and it's obviously a and it's obviously a material that has been used for decades in the watch industry. Nothing wrong with it at all.

You’re all far more versed in the details of this reference than I am, but the above does make me curious:

is the summer blue 75th the only Heritage SM with ceramic bezel and a lollipop?

You’re all far more versed in the details of this reference than I am, but the above does make me curious:

is the summer blue 75th the only Heritage SM with ceramic bezel and a lollipop?

I was going to initially respond with yes, but the honest truth is I'm not 100% certain that one of the mixed-metal references doesn't have a ceramic bezel and lollipop. I think it's the only one with both, but I can't make that assertion with 100% certainty because I haven't looked at every single Seamaster heritage precious metal or mixed metal version super closely.

...and I didnt really like the steel ring on the bezel. I see past that now.

To add: I totally understand that and am glad that we've helped change your opinion! For me the steel ring really shows its value in low light settings, adding a gorgeous pop of definition and character the watch wouldn't otherwise have.
In addition to @gbesq pictures above, here are some of my favorite shots from both my first generation and summer that show off the steel ring and how it looks in low light . 30504310525541.jpeg 20230822_201403.jpg 20230629_213113.jpg 20230517_220238.jpg Black&whitesm300.jpg

Here are some more, from the garden this afternoon. I think I've done a fair job of demonstrating the dynamism of this dial...

20230824_122745.jpg 20230824_122545.jpg

Under the kitchen lights and windows, totally washed out and gray...

20230824_123927.jpg

and then, in the entryway, back to brooding sapphire, just a handful of minutes later.
20230824_124357.jpg
Edited:

@itsjustausername ---- The Spectre! I nearly forgot about it. Although it isn't a dive bezel it is ceramic, and has a lollipop.

First gen though...
Edited:

@itsjustausername ---- The Spectre! I nearly forgot about it. Although it isn't a dive bezel it is ceramic, and has a lollipop.

First gen though...

Oh dang you’re right!! But tbh, the summer blue has everything the Spectre’s got, and then some 👍
Edited:

Looks like the same dial colour like on the PloProf...Really a beauty

Wow!

Thanks for posting all these amazing pics. I've been waiting to see more actual, non promo, pics. I have one on order via deposit from Topper's! Since I have the 300m Tokyo Olympic, I thought the heritage would add more diversity to my humble collection. The only thing I wasn't crazy about on the standard blue 300 was the faux patina, and this 75th cures that!

Looks like the same dial colour like on the PloProf...Really a beauty

It's similar. One big difference is that the way the varnish is applied here makes the center lighter area expand in size in more light and contract in less light, where the ploprof has more of a sunburst-like effect (I think Omega calls it suntouched or sunkissed).

Love the ploprof dial.

Wow!

Thanks for posting all these amazing pics. I've been waiting to see more actual, non promo, pics. I have one on order via deposit from Topper's! Since I have the 300m Tokyo Olympic, I thought the heritage would add more diversity to my humble collection. The only thing I wasn't crazy about on the standard blue 300 was the faux patina, and this 75th cures that!

Agreed. I find the light blue highly legible, perhaps more so than my gen 1 Heritage. It really works.

Agreed. I find the light blue highly legible, perhaps more so than my gen 1 Heritage. It really works.

The pics are great! Still pleased you went with this one over the Diver 300? I just switched my reservation to the heritage.

The pics are great! Still pleased you went with this one over the Diver 300? I just switched my reservation to the heritage.

Absolutely, but I really like the broad arrow, the dagger style markers, the quarter numerals (generally the more classic look and style of this watch), and I have always had reservations about the skeleton hands and especially the helium Escape valve (and yes, I completely recognize that those are essential to the style of the Seamaster Pro).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the SMP and it's just as dynamic and fanatic. I think both watches are great and you can't go wrong with either one.

Still have seen very, very few images of the Heritage model but I have seen tons of divers. There was a Heritage up for "pre owned" sale briefly for 9,990USD but it's gone... no others I can find... lots of divers on ebay already.

Thanks! Your photos inspired me to switch my rez and, like you, I'm generally a fan of the more classic look.

Really wish I could see both olin person, but don't really want to wait who knows how many months until a local AD gets them.

Thanks! Your photos inspired me to switch my rez and, like you, I'm generally a fan of the more classic look.

Really wish I could see both olin person, but don't really want to wait who knows how many months until a local AD gets them.

Why not go to a boutique? You might be able to see them and they're more likely to have them now?

Why not go to a boutique? You might be able to see them and they're more likely to have them now?

I would but closest one is 4 hours away and my wife is due soon. I'm not going anywhere!