Seamaster grey vs. Tokyo

Hi all

I want to treat myself on a Seamaster after finishing my PhD and I’d like some advice from people owning the recent model. I really have a hard time to decide between the grey dial and the Tokyo edition. The Tokyo edition can only be bought pre-owned. So, I have no chance to try it on my wrist before buying. The grey dial looked great depending on the light and I like that there are only two colors used (grey and blue) whilst the Tokyo edition comes with the Seamaster script in red.

Does someone of you own both colors, which one do you prefer for casual outfits? Can you confirm that the date is blue? On some pictures it looks blackish. Are there known fakes of the Tokyo edition?

I’m really glad for any input you might have.

The grey dial is nice, but the writing and the date can be hard to read. I went with the Tokyo. You can still find some on the grey market. Here’s a closeup of mine

I've owned both the Tokyo and grey (chrome) dial. The Tokyo went very quickly as I just don't like the white dial on the Seamaster. I know the majority probably think the white dial is the best version (either regular with black bezel or the Tokyo); for me it's the least desirable.

I said I owned the grey dial. Well I missed it so actually bought it back. I have the grey, blue, black, green and NTTD. The grey dial offers something different plus the different coloured bezel.

Try them on is the best advice and definitely with the Seamaster. You'll soon know which you prefer. Also take your time. I wasn't sure about the grey originally but I appreciate the difference it adds to my collection now.

Hi all

I want to treat myself on a Seamaster after finishing my PhD and I’d like some advice from people owning the recent model. I really have a hard time to decide between the grey dial and the Tokyo edition. The Tokyo edition can only be bought pre-owned. So, I have no chance to try it on my wrist before buying. The grey dial looked great depending on the light and I like that there are only two colors used (grey and blue) whilst the Tokyo edition comes with the Seamaster script in red.

Does someone of you own both colors, which one do you prefer for casual outfits? Can you confirm that the date is blue? On some pictures it looks blackish. Are there known fakes of the Tokyo edition?

I’m really glad for any input you might have.

If it's your first I'd recommend getting new from an AD or Boutique. It's a cool and you should have no problem getting 15% off a gray dial. I have the grab dial. It's SENSATIONAL in some lighting, especially overcast bright days. Other times it can look a little drab. I got more compliments on it than another watch. I too am thinking about switching for a Tokyo, but I am scared after some posts showing some pretty solid super fakes.

That's indeed my problem. I tried the gray dial at an AD on my wrist and I really liked it. It's not your everyday watch color that you see on lots of other persons' wrists. But I don't see a chance to find an AD or otherwise trustworthy dealer that still has a Tokyo in stock. Therefore, I am not able to try it on, but have to order online. And I am unsure if I want to throw thousands of $$ on some private ebay or chrono24 seller with the possible risk of getting a fake.
@Robert-Jan 's video is really great and helpful. Thank you!

tokyo.jpg Could someone of you nie folks be so kind and take a look at this watch? To me it seems that some indices on the bezel are not alligned with indices on the dial (e.g. 12) while e.g. 5 and 10 are. Do you notice something else that looks suspicious? Seller doesn't have any pictures of the back of the watch, so unfortunately I cannot add one.

Indices look fine to me. I just think the photo is taken at a slight angle, which is magnified by the domed sapphire.

I would be more concerned that it’s been lifted from Chrono24. That’s assuming it’s not being sold from that website?

Here’s an old pic of my legitimate model at a slight angle. Do all the indices line up?

CC38CA85-0861-4D48-AD8A-ADA6057FE5DE.jpeg

Thanks a lot for the help. It seems the same seller is also selling at chrono24. At least the loation of the watch is the same.

Thanks a lot for the help. It seems the same seller is also selling at chrono24. At least the loation of the watch is the same.
So was there something specific you thought was wrong with it, other than the indices query? Just asking as I read it like you had spotted something potentially?