Forums Latest Members
  1. abear Feb 10, 2019

Since 1958 I have owned the subject watch (caliber 201,case 2846,ser. #1576267). I have been advised by the Swatch Group,Toronto, that the watch needs complete maintenance which should be done in Switzerland.
    My concern is that this maintenance would cost about $800., and based on what I paid for the watch years ago, the price of maintenance far exceeds the value of the watch.
    It has a gold case and stainless back. Years ago I had the original bracelet replaced as well as the stem (not Omega).
    All advice is welcomed!

2. abear Feb 10, 2019

whoops. Should be caliber 501.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 10, 2019

I’d not use them. Where do you live exactly, we can recommend someone for you.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. abear Feb 10, 2019

I'm resident about 100kms northwest of Toronto, Ontario. (Collingwood area). Barrie Ontario is the closest larger city.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2019

Hello,

A couple of things to keep in mind...

What you paid for the watch all those years ago, and what it may be worth now are two very different things. We can't tell you what the watch might be worth now without seeing good photos of it, but I think it's very possible that the watch could be worth more than $800.

Secondly, what a watch is worth has nothing to do with the amount of labour (and therefore cost) that will go into servicing it.

As Foo has pointed out, servicing vintage watches with the brand is not necessarily a good idea, so I would suggest finding an independent watchmaker who can assist you.

Cheers, Al

connieseamaster and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Kapka Feb 10, 2019

There used be a very knowledgeable watch maker in Toronto. His name is Ede Shane and he serviced a few of my watches during my visits to Canada. It was a few years ago but maybe someone from TO know if he is still active?

You don’t have to go to his place, you can just post the watch and he will return it serviced. Can’t remember exactly how much I paid but it was not nearly 800 $.
    I still have his email so you can try that. Let me know if you are interested.

/Kapka

7. seekingseaquest Feb 10, 2019

Photos of the watch?

Service should be closer to $300. Search the forum for watchmaker recommendations. Regardless of price, don’t send to Omega as they will replace much of the watch with new parts which significantly hurts the value (not that you necessary care about that, but us collectors do).

8. abear Feb 11, 2019

DSCN0748.JPG

9. abear Feb 11, 2019

Will try to get better photos tomorrow. Thanks for your help/

10. abear Feb 12, 2019

Thanks for the reference. I contacted him today, & he is still very active in repairing high end watches in Toronto. Mailing my Grand Luxe to him for assessment. In addition to servicing the "works" I'm hoping he can replace the stem and bracelet with Omega parts.

11. 124watchfan Feb 12, 2019

Just curious, is your last name Hebert by any chance?

12. abear Feb 12, 2019

No.

13. 124watchfan Feb 12, 2019

Ok was just curious there are a lot of French Acadians here in Louisiana (myself included) and Hebert is a common name (pronounced A-bear) I’ve seen people write it as abear when they hear it if they don’t know the spelling. Amusing actually.

14. abear Feb 12, 2019

It is. Actually abear came about re my given name Barry and I'm often called Bar, so---abear. I no. It's goofy!

15. abear Feb 12, 2019

Wrong no-know
    Took more pictures of my watch today. Tomorrow I hope to post them!

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 12, 2019

Hebert:

[​IMG]

A “bar”:

Simple.
    gatorcpa

17. 124watchfan Feb 12, 2019

No more goofy than a bunch of guys talking about watches.

18. 124watchfan Feb 12, 2019

Aaah the Cajun cannon....