Forums Latest Members
  1. WYO_Watch Apr 19, 2017

I logged on over an hour ago to post an SOS but got distracted reading... :unsure:

Anyway, I picked up an Omega Seamaster De Ville and upon its arrival the crystal was not where it was supposed to be. Beyond the obvious cross eyed cyclops, I also don't have an original crystal. Now I have a few questions that someone may be able to help me with.

1. Is this indicative of more problems?
    2. What tool can I use to rotate/replace the crystal?
    3. Will that tool work with my other SM front loaders?
    4. Can anyone point me to an original crystal?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!
    PS - our mods are on point, some new member posted a for sale add in several wrong places and within 8 minutes all the adds were gone. Talk about efficient quality control!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 19, 2017

That watch looks like a top loader so if you got something like this

[​IMG]
    http://www.esslinger.com/watch-crystal-remover-and-inserter-crystal-lift-tool/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwldzHBRCfg_aImKrf7N4BEiQABJTPKGRYc9aeZqNd7N1giRGjndLEGKEgUZiLI1g56gGpnqMaAjR88P8HAQ

You can put a little pressure on the crystal with this tool, just enough to loosen it, and then rotate the crystal into correct position. I'm sure there are a slew of youtubes on using this tool...

pippy and WYO_Watch like this.
  3. WYO_Watch Apr 19, 2017

And only $17 to boot! I am guessing this pretty universal, so it should work with my other front loaders as well?

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 19, 2017

Sure.

Now there are Genuine Omega tools that aren't $17 that are pretty specific to watch size. But for use once every blue moon...

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 19, 2017

Edited Apr 19, 2017
  6. WYO_Watch Apr 19, 2017

Haha always quick on the draw with the watchmaker. Unfortunately my town has only 1 and he spends 99.9% of his time doing custom jewelry and the other .1% working with pocket watches. I am just trying to learn a few things on my own so if live in another place that doesn't have a watch maker I can handle a bit of tinkering on my own.

Also... that guy was clearly a flash and dash conman, but I stand by my comment ::bleh:: they at least gone one of his posts erased quickly :thumbsup:

7. TNTwatch Apr 19, 2017

This is not the right tool for your watch and it won't work. The crystal is held down by the bezel, so you need to pry off the bezel which will take along the crystal, then use a crystal press to push down on the bezel to reinstall.

You can certainly get both tools for future use and other watches as well.

Archer and WYO_Watch like this.
  8. TNTwatch Apr 19, 2017

It is a top loader watch, but not all Omega top loaders are the same. This tool will work on some like ref 168.025 where it says something like "use tool 107", but it won't work on this 166.020 since the crystal is held down very firmly by the bezel on this watch.

WYO_Watch and hoipolloi like this.
  9. TNTwatch Apr 19, 2017

This crystal with the date magnifier must be original already, but if you want one without the date mag then those suppliers like Ofrei or Cousinsuk still have it.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 19, 2017

As @TNTwatch mentioned, you have a "Unicoc" case where the movement is removed after removing the bezel/crystal assembly. There should be a very slight gap in the bezel/case interface for a case knife.

The movement in a "Monocoque" case is removed after lifting the crystal/tension ring with an Omega Tool 107/3295.

Knowing and recognising the difference between the two is very important.

WYO_Watch and TNTwatch like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 19, 2017

In addition, if you have to use the Vigor style "claw" crystal remover, make sure you use a high quality one.

Some of the Indian/Chinese models around do not have perfectly circular grip points and the result can be a tooth mark on the edge of the crystal or even a broken crystal.

WYO_Watch and TNTwatch like this.
  12. redpcar Apr 19, 2017

"Can anyone point me to an original crystal?"
    Yours looks fine. Just need a little polish. Take a safety razor and work around the edges of the bezel, pop it up, rotate and snap back in place. It looks like it isn't fully seated anyway. Just be careful not to apply too much pressure. Don't want to bend the hands or scratch the dial.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 19, 2017

Thanks for the lesson. I did not know this distinction.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  14. WYO_Watch Apr 23, 2017

Gang, thanks a lot for all the helpful posts. I followed your suggestions and am very satisfied with the end result.
    @TNTwatch and @redpcar the crystal was original and has been polished. IMO looks good as new. You can see the corner of the Omega symbol (didn't see it even under a loop before.
    IMG_6225.JPG

I also followed the razor blade advise and had no problem popping off the bezel. Not only did I properly align the glass, but I got some of those random black specks off the dial - so it was a mega win in my book.
    Cyclops is a bit off still because I lined it up straight on, maybe I should have offset it for the wrist.
    IMG_6224.JPG IMG_6223.JPG