Forums Latest Members
  1. alvinleeryan Feb 11, 2016

Hello! So I recently bought a seamster cosmic... then I left it in my drawer for a week. Now it doesn't seem to want to run any more.

I looked online, and the general consensus was to hand wind it for approx 40 revolutions. I have done this, but still no joy. I'm nervous to continue winding it as I don't want to damage it. Any advice, things to try or should I send it in for a service?

Many thanks!

2. alvinleeryan Feb 11, 2016

Should have mentioned it is an automatic and was running fine before.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2016

Same as a car not starting, do the exact same thing.
    Just swap a mechanic to a watchmaker. ( no need for a tow truck :) )

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 11, 2016

Hey now, to many a car not starting means check a bunch of easy stuff first before considering calling a mechanic. Always good to rule out easy stuff where applicable.

ChrisN and alvinleeryan like this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 11, 2016

Maybe it's allergic to socks...

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2016

Got five bucks it's not the battery, spark plug leads or starter motor on the cosmic;)

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 11, 2016

Winding shouldn't damage it, the mainspring is designed to slip if wound too tight.
    You could try giving it a twisty shake to get the balance running, hold the watch in your hand, dial toward your palm and watch horizontal and then do a left right twist of your hand a few times.

If the second hand doesn't move it's off to the WM.

alvinleeryan and STANDY like this.
  8. alvinleeryan Feb 12, 2016

Thanks for the replies... If it were a car I would have no problem getting it running. Exactly as @BlackTalon said, I was hoping for a few things to try before I send it off for repair... thanks @JimInOz for the advice. After doing what you said the second hand gave a few ticks then died, so off to the WM it is.

Any recommendations for a reliable service in London?