Forums Latest Members
  1. RandyTime Oct 13, 2014

I have the opportunity to purchase a Seamaster 2257 with a 1953 serial number Calibre 354 movement with a black waffle dial. I have attached two photo's of the watch dial. It is also marked "SWISS" under the 6 o'clock marker but is not visible in the attached photos.

My questions are:

1. Is this a redial? (Please note the lack of minute dots on the watch face.)
    2. Has Seamaster 2577 22 SC Calibre 354 p.1.jpg Seamaster 2257 22 SC Calibre 354 p.2.jpg
    2. Has anyone seen similar dial furniture (particularly the 12 o'clock marker) an Omega Bumper Seamaster?
    3. How much does part of the 3 o"clock marker being missing devalue the watch?

I would greatly appreciate help as I'm a novice Omega enthusiast. Seamaster 2577 22 SC Calibre 354 p.1.jpg Seamaster 2257 22 SC Calibre 354 p.2.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 13, 2014

Looks original to me. Very nice watch from the outside.

Are you sure it's a Ref. 2257? I can't find one like it online. The missing marker does hurt the value.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 13, 2014

1. Is this a redial? (Please note the lack of minute dots on the watch face.)
    Yes, I think so. The lack of the minute markers and the M of Automatic
    2. Has anyone seen similar dial furniture (particularly the 12 o'clock marker) an Omega Bumper Seamaster?
    No I have not
    3. How much does part of the 3 o"clock marker being missing devalue the watch?
    About 1/4 the value of the watch.

By looking at the case I think it should be a 2577 (?)

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Oct 13, 2014

I've seen a couple black dialed Seamasters from the 50's with similar dial furniture -especially the patterned dials like that.

As far as being a redial or original, the pictures are too blurry to be conclusive.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 13, 2014

Dial script looks correct for the period and of a style that is difficult to duplicate. I've seen very few redials with just "Swiss" on the dial in the correct position. I vote original. But the missing marker would keep me from making an offer on this one.

I didn't want to "lead the witness" on the case reference. Looks like a 2577 to me as well.

gatorcpa

Giff2577 likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 13, 2014

Based on these photos, I vote with gator as this being original.

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 13, 2014

I've seen one with this dial before a while back, if I'm not mistaken it ended up in Mike's collection. Looks ok to me but case is a bit worn.

8. ulackfocus Oct 13, 2014

It was a WUS member's watch. Can't remember who's though.

9. John R Smith Oct 14, 2014

If I may, I'm going to respectfully disagree with the majority here and back Hoi. I think this is a redial. It would be most unusual for there to be no chapter ring (minute track) on a 2577 (if that is what it is) or similar Seamaster from the early 1950s. And all of my bumpers that I have now, and the ones I have had in the past, have sloping legs, not upright, to the letter 'M' in "automatic".

Giff2577 and hoipolloi like this.
  10. TNTwatch Oct 14, 2014

I have seen myself and bought for a friend a black waffle dial seamaster of 1956 with no minute ring from a watchmaker. I also thought at first and said it was a redial, but he brought out an old Omega parts catalogue that shows that exact dial along with many other dials with no minute ring at all!

What I am unsure about the OP's watch is the letter M script, but that is just because I do not have much experience and have not researched or seen proof of its originality, nor the reverse. Still, I do not think it is a redial as I can see pretty clearly on my monitor the symmetry of the diagonal texture finish on the two halves of the dial that aligns pretty much precisely with the tips of 6 and 12 hour markers. If it is a redial, it has been done extremely well and no less than the standards of Omega originals.

The missing marker certainly reduces the value a lot, but it looks just like a standard arrow marker of many seamasters of the same period, so a donor part is obtainable albeit at a cost and whether this watch is worth that much trouble to the owner or not.

Regards,

Tony

Giff2577 likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

The fact that the dial is missing a marker makes me suspicious that the dial was removed for refinishing and in the process the marker was lost. Either way is a guess, but that is what I am going with. :D

hoipolloi likes this.
  12. wwhntr Oct 14, 2014

This looks like a 2577 that I owned until about a year ago. Picked it up because the "chevron" design on dial was so unusual. Do not recall the missing marker at 3 o'clock. I'm not an expert on distinguishing original dials from some refinished. If it was a refinished dial, it was one of the highest quality jobs that I've seen!

Giff2577 likes this.
  13. RandyTime Oct 15, 2014

Thanks everyone for helping me better understand this watch. Having seen it in person, I really like the look with the very unique "chevron" marker and the lack of a chapter ring (minute markers) on the face. The dial is very clean and elegant with the sold (no lume or black insert) dauphine hands.

I have decided to acquire this watch because of it's unique look. I like TNTWatch's idea about acquiring a matching arrowhead marker to replace the broken one at the 3 o'clock position. The arrowhead markers at the 6 and 9 position appear to be relatively common on Omega dials of this era.

Can anyone suggest a source that might have such an arrowhead marker that they would be willing to sell me?

Again thanks for your guidance, it is much appreciated.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

Only source I know of would be a donor watch dial, which will be neither cheap nor easy to acquire. This is a rather unusual style and there are not many of those around.

It may be possible to have the missing piece made by a good jeweler. However, it will look like a replacement and the labor involved would be quite expensive.

Don't like to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't see a whole lot of alternatives here.
    gatorcpa

15. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2014

That's certainly the damning factor in the case for it being a redial. Otherwise, it was lost on a watchmaker's bench or it's still inside the watch.

Yep, me too as I mentioned above - at least a couple. Same exact guillochè pattern also.

16. omegastar Oct 15, 2014

Looking at the gold Omega symbol another problem arises, it should be rounded. Furthurmore, I think the markers are to close to the reflector ring of the glass. Overall it gives a feeling that something is wrong there.

17. omegastar Oct 15, 2014

Looking at a 354 bumper Seamaster, I think that the text Omega Seamaster is wrong, the Omega should be bigger than the word automatic and the A's should have a cut summit.

18. j.allen May 20, 2015

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I was wondering if the OP ever got the watch and determined if the dial was in fact re-done. To me it looks so, but a pretty darn good job.

He only has 7 posts so he is probably not active anymore. Although it could be reflection or something, it looks like you can see a very faint crosshair underneath.

Edited May 20, 2015
  19. RandyTime Jun 6, 2015

Sorry for the delay in replying,

Yes I got the watch and was able to locate a matching marker for the broken one and have it installed. My watchmaker says that after completely servicing the watch and replacing the broken marker that he believes the dial is 100% original. It keeps perfect time and I'm very happy with my purchase.

20. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jun 6, 2015

Photos please!