Forums Latest Members
  1. panzerpligel Feb 25, 2019

Hi Guys, so I just bought this watch a few days ago and I've been monitoring the accuracy. I use WatchCheck application to monitor the accuracy and the result from the application shows that this watch run at +39 sec a day.

Do you think its normal for this watch to run at this rate? Should I bring it to my local watchmaker to regulate it or try to regulate it myself?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2019

When was it last serviced? A 564 is a chronometer and even though they're old they often perform very well if they've been correctly serviced including replacing parts where needed. Simply regulating it isn't a good option if it needs a full service.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Risto Feb 26, 2019

I have cal 561 and it has been serviced and runs at +3 sec day. So, yours might nees some servicing. But +40 sec is not bad though.

4. panzerpligel Feb 26, 2019

The previous owner never service the watch and he didn't know when the last time it was serviced or ever serviced. What part that usually need to be replaced if the watch run fast like this?

Yeah it's not that bad, but I don't want to adjust the watch every 2 days.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2019

It needs a full service then, not just regulation. As part of that any worn parts will be replaced, and the entire movement is dismantled, cleaned and re-lubricated before being re-assembled, afterwards it will keep very good time and serve you well in the future. If you don't have it serviced you will have un-lubricated vintage parts being worn out and will do damage to it over time. It isn't too expensive having a quality independent watchmaker with a parts account service it.

KAP likes this.
  6. KAP Feb 26, 2019

dsio posted just as I was writing the same response. The only thing to add is that the 564 is a very good and robust movement. Even so, routine servicing of roughly every 5 years for a mechanical watch should be anticipated as an expense when purchasing a watch. An analogy is regularly changing oil in a car is the best preventative maintenance one can do for maximizing longevity of a vehicle.

7. panzerpligel Feb 26, 2019

Thank you for the information Sir. Is the parts for this particular movement easy to get? What is the most expensive part for this movement? Because here in Indonesia it's kinda hard to find original parts, and also a competent watchmaker.

Yeah now I'm considering a full service of the movement. Thank you Sir !

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2019

We do have Indonesian vintage omega collectors:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/jakarta-wis-gtg.11933/

And if you private message @Privateday7 he might be able to help you with local watchmakers, he collects many from this era and is in Jakarta.

9. Canuck Feb 26, 2019

The analogy of changing the oil in a vehicle related to servicing a watch is a bit misleading. Changing the oil in a vehicle simply means pulling the drain plug, allowing 95% of the oil to run out, replacing the oil filter, putting the drain plug back in, then putting new oil in. If the vehicle was not running to peak performance before the oil change, changing the oil won’t fix what’s wrong. ALL of the tired lubricant in a watch must be replaced, and that requires that the watch be dismantled, special cleaners and rinses used to strip the tired lube completely, then all parts examined as the watch is re-assembled, and deteriorated parts replaced. Lubrication is done with the required special lubricants, then the watch test run to assure UNIFORM performance, and such adjusting as is required completed to assure uniform performance. Only then can regulation have the affect of assuring accuracy.

I am currently wearing a 65 year old Omega caliber 351bumper automatic which I recently serviced. It is currently running within +5 seconds per day. Before I serviced it, it was out close to two minutes per day. The only movement part I replaced was the mainspring. The rest of returning the old pelter to fairly good performance was the cleaning and adjusting as was required.

Edited Feb 26, 2019
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 26, 2019

Hi @panzerpligel. Just PM you on watchmaker. Hope it is useful.

11. fskywalker Feb 26, 2019

Might just need to be regulated or de-magnetized; 564 is a chronometer grade movement so should do better than that

12. panzerpligel Feb 26, 2019

Thank you Sir for the information !
    I think I will change the mainspring on this watch also
    Thank you kind Sir!
    I tested with my phone compass and it seems that its not magnetized. I must visit a watchmaker soon!

13. goodman Jan 20, 2021

40 seconds a day for this type of calibre is very bad. When maintained properly they used to be within 60 seconds a month. This makes 2 seconds a day.

14. goodman Jan 20, 2021

I would never advise to buy a watch that has not been serviced regularly. The repairs may be very costly.

15. Franco Jan 21, 2021

Find a reliable independent watchmaker, parts can be found if needed. It is essential you get it serviced , or the dried oils and mechanical friction will damage further the moving parts