Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 8800 - Any idea what might have happened with the movement?

1. rahul718 May 1, 2020

New Seamaster 8800 bought earlier this year and a few days ago I noticed something really odd when setting the time. I hacked the movement so that the seconds hand was exactly on the 12 o’clock marker. Then when I was turning the crown to move the minute hand, I noticed a different feeling within the crown like it was in between positions. That’s when I noticed that the seconds hand dropped to the 6 o’clock marker. Whether it actually “dropped” I don’t know but when I saw it that’s where it landed. It’s been fine ever since.

Never in my experience have I been able to move the seconds second and even though it wasn’t on purpose this time, it still happened. Should I chalk this up to the gears not meshing when the crown was pulled out or something related? Not terribly worried about it as the watch is under warranty but I’m just more curious than anything else.

thanks

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2020

Most likely the crown was not pulled out fully, so when you were not paying attention the watch was running again.

3. rahul718 May 1, 2020

But one second the seconds hand was set at 12oclock and then I looked down almost immdiately and it was at the 6oclock... 30 seconds definitely did not elapse.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2020

If you say so. If the seconds hand moved 30 seconds in 1 second, then the hand is loose on the post, the rivet is bad, or the seconds wheel is coming apart. If the watch is running fine now none of those are likely...

So your watch is either broken, or it's not. With what you have provided, it's impossible for me to say.

rahul718 likes this.
  5. rahul718 May 1, 2020

Thanks Archer... I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I'm sure if there's really an issue, it'll resurface again